CCTV systems in Taxis

Suave

What do you think of CCTV systems in taxis?

I've noticed more and more drivers are installing them now.

Would they make you feel safer if e.g you are female and travelling alone?

I know (from speaking to a driver) that the Police encourage their use and I suppose it can act as a deterrent to any trouble makers / thiefs.

What do you think of CCTV systems in taxis?

I've noticed more and more drivers are installing them now.

Would they make you feel safer if e.g you are female and travelling alone?

I know (from speaking to a driver) that the Police encourage their use and I suppose it can act as a deterrent to any trouble makers / thiefs.

Personally i know just one private hire driver with CCTV installed. He doesn't feel any safer. Maybe more hackney carriages have it. However in ten years of cabbying i've had a few scrapes with joe public but i doubt CCTV would be a deterrent as most of the peeps who cause the trouble are off their heads anyway. I doubt they'd see the CCTV sign lol.

If someone is going to rob you they will simple as. Touch wood it hasn't happened to me but in general its best to use your instinct. If the fare seems dodgy then drive away simple as. Self-preservation is better than any CCTV system. :D

As for women feeling safer would CCTV really do this? If someone feels that threatened travelling alone they shouldn't. anyway most of us guys are likeable fellows and if someone wishes to converse with me then i'll make them as comfortable as possible. If they want to stay mute then the radio turned up is a great silence/ease breaker.

here endeth the lesson :thumbsup:

I am an ex taxi driver and would use a cctv in my cab. It probably wouldn't stop the idiots do what they do but If I was assaulted I would use the recording to sue their arse. After all the slightest jolt and customers sue for for whiplash!

As for women feeling safer, well you have to be very carefull how you handle the opposite sex if they are troublesome. A cctv can be your defence if you know what i mean.

I am all for them.

would probably make some interesting fly on the wall documentaries with the footage.

This Taxi driver had simmilar ideas but posted his to you tube story here http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Taxi-driver-filmed-customers-posted-footage-internet/article-2847913-detail/article.html

In my case I don`t think would make much difference unless was involved in some sort of accident

I've never been in a taxi with CCTV (or if it has I haven't noticed it!) I think it would make me feel safer. Has anyone actually seen CCTV in a cab in Sheffield??

I've been in a couple, they usually have signs in the windows. The camera is mounted on the corner of the driver's rear view mirror, its only small, but you can see the red LED.

Archived