Advanced Train Tickets

Cynic

Does anybody know if you are able to use an earlier connecting train if you buy advance train tickets? We have tickets to London Kings Cross that start at Meadowhall on a local train to Doncaster. The ticket is for the full journey but I have noticed it doesn't allow much time for the change at Doncaster, and you didn't seem able to alter this.

So does anybody know if in that situation you are able to get an earlier train from Meadowhall? If you can't I assume you can get a later train from Doncaster if you miss the connection, but the T&Cs seem to suggest you would have to use the same train company as on the ticket?

technically I would imagine not, but probably worth an ask of the guard at meadowhall when you get there, with it being a local train they may be OK to let you on it.

Thanks. That was what we had thought. Will probably end up doing that.

If the ticket is an internet advanced and it has the time of the train on it then I think you have to catch that train.

Most of the time yes, but on local services where a specific reservation isn't made when the ticket is booked I've never had a problem.

I think (I may be wrong) that it is ok on services where reservations aren't made - i.e. the local connecting services with no specific booked seats.

Doncaster is a pretty small station, i get a train Shef-Donny-London quite often, with 8mins conection, and its generally at the platform right behind the one ive got off.

As long as you have 10mins, i wouldnt worry about it - but if it will bother you, just get on an earlier local train to donny, they dont tend to be fussy about ticket times like the main trains are

Thanks for the other replies.

How did that "d" sneak in my title! :)

On a mostly unrelated matter I have confused myself now! Does "Advanced Train Tickets" make sense or should it be "Advance Train Tickets"? I'll probably not lose any sleep over it if nobody replies! :hihi:

Archived