Cow/ bull attacks

I've never had the pleasure of being pursued by our bovine friends before. I do a lot of walking and have crossed many a field with livestock, but nothing eventful has ever happened. I suppose if you don't spook them then they won't do anything to endanger you.

Speaking of which, I used to walk with a group and the leader of the group thought it would be a wise idea to wave his hands around whilst making noises, to move a hurd of cows (with calves) on. That's the kind of stupidity that gets people injured or killed.

Im a country lass, hailing from the green hills of Stannington, and am used to walking through fields full of cows without hesitation- I have been chased a few times, and a herd of bullocks licked all the paint off my bike after me and my mate had to run and leave our bikes as we were being charged at haha!!

If the bike was an old one and had a high lead content in the paint it could have been that that was making it so popular with the bullocks. I believe lead has a sweet taste.

My family and I were chased by a bull on a public footpath many years ago, boy you shoulda seen my dad hurdle that gate though. :)

On the other hand, the wife's uncle was killed by a bull about ten years ago. He was a farmer and it was his animal. He broke one his own rules and turned his back on the animal when it charged at him.

Apparently they're more tetchy at this time of year.

It is reconised that some bulls can be dangerous in a public place

23. Can a farmer keep a bull in a field crossed by a public path?

A bull of up to ten months old, yes. Bulls over ten months of a recognised dairy breed (Ayrshire, British Friesian, British Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry) are banned from fields crossed by public paths under all circumstances. All other bulls over ten months are banned unless accompanied by cows or heifers. If any bulls act in a way which endangers the public, an offence may be committed under health and safety legislation.

Taken from

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/britain/footpathlaw/footpathlaw2.htm#bull

It's bullocks rather than bulls that worry me the most.

I've been chased quite a fair few times in Wales, but so far I've made it to the fence before they have, although I know they don't mean any harm! It would be nice if the farmers didn't put bullocks in fields with footpaths.

And the purpose of a footpath is free access to the public. If a person on that footpath gets killed by a farm animal, the farmer is by definition in the wrong.

Exactly. In many cases the footpaths were there before the farm ever was.

I don't expect the farmers to spend lots of money, time or effort, but bullocks can be really quite dangerous.

Exactly. In many cases the footpaths were there before the farm ever was.

I don't expect the farmers to spend lots of money, time or effort, but bullocks can be really quite dangerous.

Are you sure of that? I would have thought the farms were there long before public footpaths?

Archived