E.bay sale: Goods not received. Advice please.

mikeG

I sold a model car for £95 on ebay. Posted 2nd class so didn't do recorded delivery. 2 days later the buyer wanted to know where it was. I said hang on - it could take 3-5 working days but 4 days after posting the buyer tried to 'open a case' through ebay. Ebay say its too early. If buyer maintains that they haven't received goods after say, 10 working days is it a case of the buyer's word against mine?. The receipt of posting proves that I posted it but I can't prove that it was delivered and the buyer can't prove that it wasn't delivered. Next time I will charge the buyer for 1st class with recorded delivery. Anyone had experience of this?

I would post first class with recorded delivery..i think buyers are happy to pay any extra..i have not had any experience as a seller but bought an item a few months ago that didn't arrive, the seller said he had posted it. The seller was happy to post a replacement item on my word but i did feel sorry for the seller and i could easily have been duping him.

I send everything recorded. If you have proof of postage from the post office and the buyer did not request recoreded delivery then you may have a case with Ebay if you ave the proof of postage. Did you offer recorded delivery as an option? Did the post office do a printed proof of postage or just scribble the postcode on the reciept? Looks like you are going to be in a dispute, not much help but let us know the outcome.

Whenever I buy anything over £25 on ebay I always ask for it to be sent recorded delivery, worth the extra postage for peace of mind.

This will be my policy from now on. I think there are some buyers on ebay who, if they receive goods 2nd class post, say they haven't received them and try and get their money back. I gave the buyer my mobile number at 9 o clock this morning but it would appear that she does not wish to discuss the matter with me.

I sold a model car for £95 on ebay. Posted 2nd class so didn't do recorded delivery. 2 days later the buyer wanted to know where it was. I said hang on - it could take 3-5 working days but 4 days after posting the buyer tried to 'open a case' through ebay. Ebay say its too early. If buyer maintains that they haven't received goods after say, 10 working days is it a case of the buyer's word against mine?. The receipt of posting proves that I posted it but I can't prove that it was delivered and the buyer can't prove that it wasn't delivered. Next time I will charge the buyer for 1st class with recorded delivery. Anyone had experience of this?

Sorry but it always goes in favour of the buyer. If you have not sent your item via recorded delivery and cannot provide a tracking number, the buyer will simply do a paypal reversal (assuming that's how they paid) and the funds will be taken from your paypal account.

How did the purchaser pay for the item? Don't offer anything yet. Inform Ebay. How do you know the Ebayer has changed their ID twice in six months? Inform Ebay of this. Can you see transactions for last IDs? If so, can you view feedback/contact sellers to see if this has happened before? You have proof of sending item off.

Or, wait it out, and if the buyer persists after 10 days, ask the Ebayer for all their details, including date of birth, because you are reporting the matter to the post office, as they wish to investigate internally, (which you can do and is fully within your rights, and they will investigate) and it may become a police matter (which it may well do, if they find a member of the post office has been tampering with mail)! - If they're scamming, might just scare them into hiding!

It depends what proof of postage you have. I always post first class with a certificate of postage, that way you are covered if someone says the items doesn't arrive. Ebay will back you if you can prove it was posted, they refund the buyer.

Archived