E.bay sale: Goods not received. Advice please.

mikeG

When selling, I always state in my item description 'I always obtain proof of posting', and then obtain a certificate of posting, even for something with a second class stamp. I've never had problems selling.

However, I did have a woman claim to have sent something, which didn't arrive. I then asked for her to send me the certificate of posting for me to make a claim. The next day, she replied saying that her parcel had just been returned by the postie & that she would send it again. 3 days later, it arrived (phew!), with no identifying address at all. Funny how the postie could return it originally, huh? :suspect:

In answer to OP, I would offer to send a proof of posting (even if you don't have one) 'to help them make a claim against the post office' (in other words, let them do all the work). If they are genuine (or bluffing!), they will agree to your suggestion & request proof, otherwise they MAY just let it go... worth a try! In any case, it makes you sound helpful & may help you with any dealings with eBay claims dept. You can always say you couldn't find it a couple of days later... but then you'll have to return payment. :mad:

For future reference, for anything of value, ALWAYS obtain recorded delivery. It costs 75p extra (on top of the normal price) for either first or second class (I think 2nd class is only available on parcels weighing less than 1kg but I might be wrong).

Good luck!

Hi, i had a similar experience. I usually send items recorded, but on this one occasion i didn't mainly because it was to someone in sheffield. She said item was never received and that she'd had a few parcels going missing recently:suspect:.

I had proof of posting and i think on the post office claim form you cannot start the claim process until ? 28 days after posting. The whole thing go got a bit heated so i just gave her a refund to put an end to it all. So i was doubly out of pocket. Lesson learned and i have never sent an item without tracking or signed for since.

Same happened to me twice ( not receiving goods paid for) and i was practically immediately refunded for one and the other i lost out on. I was told the item had a tracking number which surprise surprise didn't exist and then the traders disappeared. This was very frustrating as it was my first ebay purchase, thought i was protected by paypal but i'd been strung along for a month which in those days was too late to open a dispute. So i have seen it from both rubbish sides of the coin.

Good luck!

When I post ebay items I always state that I will obtain proof of posting and so far have had no problem.

Any enquiry to the Post Office re a missing item has to be instigated by the sender, they won't accept a query from the recipient.

The buyer has opened a case with ebay and I accept the fact that the buyer has it, or its been lost or its been stolen en-route. I have refunded the buyer as I haven't the time or the inclination for any more hassle. However, I will take the necessary steps to ensure that this never happens again.

The buyer has opened a case with ebay and I accept the fact that the buyer has it, or its been lost or its been stolen en-route. I have refunded the buyer as I haven't the time or the inclination for any more hassle. However, I will take the necessary steps to ensure that this never happens again.

If you had proof of posting you should chase it up with the post office as you are now out of pocket !:)

Archived