How can we stop knife crime

The Timothy Evans case which was the subject of Ludovic Kennedy's book "Rillington Place" was a major factor in the abolition of the death penalty in Britain.

Yes and? Do you think you could answer the question I asked you please.

Seeing as it is a simple statistical fact that the death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent, was it worth killing Timothy Evans for a 0% reduction in crime?

There are others too, was it worth killing all of these people to achieve a 0% reduction in crime?

As far as America is concerned there will always be a higher murder rate due to the demograhics.

Taking the state of California as an example where the death penalty is part of the law it more or less exists in name only. Despite having 700 on death row the chances are nil that all of them will ever be executed.

What exactly is your point here?

Anyway life without parole in a US prison is no picnic. Overcrowding and the constant danger from other prisoners would almost make death a desirable alternative by comparison.
Agreed, which is one of the reasons why the death penalty is not a more effective deterrent than life imprisonment.

Mebbe we imported it from da world? Is it a coincidence that most of the names in the news regarding knife crime appear to start with, Ade, Akin, Olu or the like?

No it is not a coincidence, but neither is it because they are foreign. It is mostly socio-economics.

Poor people commit much more crime, immigrants are likely to be poor, therefore more immigrants commit crime. I figured that out when I was about 13, its really not that complicated.

No it is not a coincidence, but neither is it because they are foreign. It is mostly socio-economics.

Poor people commit much more crime, immigrants are likely to be poor, therefore more immigrants commit crime. I figured that out when I was about 13, its really not that complicated.

Really? I'm poor and I don't commit any crime let alone knife crime.

That is a significant part of it, but also the fact that cultures in other parts of the world are less developed than ours and do not view crime, of honesty or violence, with the revulsion we do.

Archived