NHS-cant be bothered attitude?

my nan has recently been in hospital and they are sending here home today,thats great but she's not fully better. when i went to see here she was cold so i got her a blanket, but after that i thought to myself why couldnt someone have gotten her a blanket before i got there ? how long was she cold for? and why are they sending here home when she's not that much better than when she went in please get involved tell me your view's!:confused::huh:

What was she admitted with and when you say she's not fully better, what do you mean? Have you raised your concerns with the medical staff? And as for the blanket, had your nan told the nurses she was cold, or asked for another blanket? Nurses are not psychic and usually have a lot of patients to look after at any one time. To do so effectively requires 2 way communication. To say that the NHS has a can't be bothered attitude is completely untrue and unfair.

i dont think it is untrue or unfair because at the end of the day they should be someone asking patient's is everybody o.k does any 1 need anything what happend the caringness of this country it's gone down hill and nothing you say will change my mind it's a disgrace,now dont get me wrong there's alot of nurses and doctor's who do there job very well but also i think there is more that dont, than do.

You got proof for this sweeping generalisation, or just making a statement based on your own experiences?

this is what i have just pulled from bbc website.

ANNE LEEDHAM SMITH, Regional Organiser for the RCN in the East Midlands

The health services continues to provide a very good service but what we are talking about is these deficits and the fact that nurses can't get jobs when they qualify.

In the West Midlands alone, 4,000 nurses will not get jobs this year.

We've had 3,000 jobs lost already in the last few weeks and it is going to continue.

We've known about these deficits for a long time but the government just decided to pull the plug and now we've got this crisis on our hands.

Nobody denies the trusts have got to balance their books, however, we have known about these deficits for four or five years

well i agree totally that the nhs is bull**** n as for did she ask for the blanket it makes no difference wether she asked for the blanket or not cus if i was a nurse doing my job properly id be going round every single bed asking if any of these patients need assisting with anything this is my nan thats being mentioned here n when i go to visit her at the hospital the nurses in particular are no help my nan went down to 4 stone in weight n when i was there the nurse asked her how much she had eaten that to me just said it all it was disgusting to think that shed lost 2 stone in 2 weeks n there not monitering what shes eating they must be concerned for her health REALLY! also my mum went to visit her at another time and they left notes out for all to see that this might not just be down to her emphasemia but it cud be down to milignancy (cancer)now in my opinion before any member of the family cud even see anything like that a doctor should be there to discuss whats really going on n yes wev asked to see doctors but never none available to give u 5 minuteds of there time to tell us whats happening with my nan so there u go shes coming out today without one doctor coming to see any of the family til shes baing discharged now that to me is a complete and utter fail of the system we rely on today! and we have no choice in the matter but to be treated with such unimportance i would really love to know what the government are spending there money on these days!!

If your nan was cold - she should have said something. As above, the staff dont automatically know if someone is too hot/cold. My gran was hot in her room after her operation, she didnt say anything so I told her she must press the button and get somebodys attention! She did that and guess what - she got a fan. She ran out of water one day (she took great pride in telling me this) she pressed her buzzer and someone brought her a fresh jug of water!!

Now if you think she shouldnt be discharged yet, raise your concerns with the staff. Speak up about it - dont know if you expect the nurses to know youre complaining here and solve the issue but chances are they wont know. Say something to them. Does your nan not think shes ready to go home? If not, get your nan to say something. Maybe your nan wants to go home (and has been asking to do so) so theyre discharging her at the earliest possible?

Of course there will be some staff that 'don't care' but i really believe a lot of it is due to being short staffed (for whatever reason) and overwork/stress. I have been there myself not having nowhere near enough time to do what i need to do, attending endless useless meetings, filling in forms. In 8 hours work i have in the past (not working at mo) had only and hour to spend on care. Stress can cause you to close down to how others are feeling otherwise you would get so overwhelmed you would collapse emotionally. i have occasionally gone home and just sat in silence for an hour or so just get get a sense of balance again.

Archived