Congratulations..to William and Kate ..royal wedding 2011

A massive wedding with an equally massive bill? And who foots this bill? The taxpayer.
Did you not read what I said? :rolleyes: What part of your comment doesn't count as carping?

And as I also said, if we can afford to throw millions at so called 'torture' victims without any proper evidence, we can afford a wedding. Don't stress yourself. It'll be rate. :)

Did you not read what I said? :rolleyes: What part of your comment doesn't count as carping?

And as I also said, if we can afford to throw millions at so called 'torture' victims without any proper evidence, we can afford a wedding. Don't stress yourself. It'll be rate. :)

Most families pay for their own weddings though.

And folks don't often torture themselves.

Most families pay for their own weddings though.

But a Royal Wedding is more in the arena of bread and circuses than a family wedding. It's an excuse for a day off and a bit of a celebration. We enjoyed our street parties and watching Charles' wedding all those years ago. But we were probably a nice country then

And folks don't often torture themselves.
Quite! And often people who scent compo in the offing are economical with the actualite, especially in this country. I'm not saying they're lying but none of them looked exactly fooked. Not in comparison to some of the service personnel we've seen during the sad commemorations of the last week, or even the 7/7 victims. So let's not go there, eh?

.Quite! And often people who scent compo in the offing are economical with the actualite, especially in this country. I'm not saying they're lying but none of them looked exactly fooked. Not in comparison to some of the service personnel we've seen during the sad commemorations of the last week, or even the 7/7 victims. So let's not go there, eh?

No, let's go there.

Our soldiers deserve far more than they get in many ways. Salary, pension, compensation when they get injured. To say nothing of better integration into society after their service.

None of that excuses our Government from being complicit in the torture of others.

No, let's go there. None of that excuses our Government from being complicit in the torture of others.
No-one said it did, and I agree with you. But they have no right to throw millions of pounds of our money at a few people who claim to have been tortured, even if they had proper evidence, which they don't. It's just too much, when we're all having to tighten our belts.

Sufficient compensation to cover loss of whatever wages they missed out on through being detained, and a little something to cover the fear they experienced being detained, but not hundreds of thousands of pounds each. It's just not on, especially now.

Sorry, way off topic. Maybe it deserves its own thread.

I don't see why the taxpayer would be complaining.

One of my friend's comments on Facebook - "Loved watching Dave walk into number 10.....common sense has finally prevailed.....no more waste, quangos, unelected committees"

I am a taxpayer and I am complaining. About the country's biggest waste, biggest quango, and biggest unelected committee.

It's an excuse for a day off and a bit of a celebration.

Will be glad to have the day off - as we have fewer public holidays than just about every other country, but I won't have much cause for celebrating a wedding of two people I am not particularly bothered about.

Archived