Congratulations..to William and Kate ..royal wedding 2011

Are you including the rent/profits from all the land they own (ie. most of the country)

They don't "own" most of the country. Only William The Conqueror took a huge slice of land for himself, and over the years this has been chipped away and sold and stolen and lost until now, our Monarchy owns very little.

The House of Windsor themselves have private lands they own, from their marriages and roots within Scottish/English aristocracy. Their Royal line is german, and i've yet to find out if they own land in Germany. I doubt it very much, personally.

The 'Giving Away' in a marriage ceremony is still a remnant, which i can't see being done away with.

I'd forgotten that. I didn't get married in a church.

I wonder how many people still really believe that the daughter belongs to her father, and is his to give away as and when he pleases; and how many don't even realise that by continuing to include that part of the ceremony, they're effectively saying that they do believe it.

think they will marry in May........ late spring/ early summer :)

Sprog born in June/July?

The royal family would be <removed>

As they should be:hihi:.

The 'Giving Away' in a marriage ceremony is still a remnant

A clear sign that women were looked on as posessions.

I don't really see how the man 'asking permission' or whatever it is, means that the daughter will be guaranteed a rosy future. What the hell does the father's permission have to do with anything? No, sorry, I don't get it in the least.

It is a time when a prospective husband states his case about himself and the father can assess whether he thinks the marriage will be in the best interests of his daughter.

If he does not think it will be in the best interests of his daughter he will say no.

It was probably introduced to prevent people who were besotted with each other making a permanent arrangement and the fathers age and life experiences could see the situation with more objectivity.

The daughter can still marry the man but without her fathers consent.

It is a time when a prospective husband states his case about himself and the father can assess whether he thinks the marriage will be in the best interests of his daughter.

If he does not think it will be in the best interests of his daughter he will say no.

It was probably introduced to prevent people who were besotted with each other making a permanent arrangement and the fathers age and life experiences could see the situation with more objectivity.

The daughter can still marry the man but without her fathers consent.

OK, right. NOW I see!

I'd forgotten that. I didn't get married in a church.

I wonder how many people still really believe that the daughter belongs to her father, and is his to give away as and when he pleases; and how many don't even realise that by continuing to include that part of the ceremony, they're effectively saying that they do believe it.

The father has provided for the daughter until she marries and is handing over the resposibility to the husband

The father has provided for the daughter until she marries and is handing over the resposibility to the husband

Or possibly the mother has provided. Or possibly the daughter has provided for herself, and will be providing for her husband after the wedding - if she is not already.

It is, as I said, over a century since women were regarded as mere pieces of property that needed to be cared for because they were incapable of doing anything useful themselves. It's time that the last remnants of that belief were swept aside.

Archived