Congratulations..to William and Kate ..royal wedding 2011

Nor me, it's a rather facile argument and justification in my view. As I, you and others have pointed out, Versailles which is the biggest tourist attraction near France's capital has not been a royal residence for over 200 years. It's the history which is the main pull and we would still have history without the Windsor clan. Do people flock to Stratford in droves hoping to get a glimpse of Shakespeare? Besides, the royals aren't even in residence in Buck House during the peak tourist season, they're all off at Balmoral.

the tourism argument is only to highlight the fact that their "cost" is not the issue here.

what about the diplomatic argument, people in power abroad will have known the queen for what 40 years plus? you don't get that with an elected official. Look who italy have to send abroad! a prostitute loving sex addict! Imagine relying wholey on Brown or Blair, or to those who hate him Cameron!

plus we have a living history with the royal family, it may increase tourist numbers but it won't reduce them.

I meant you my dear.

As long as the Royals are there with me I'd feel I'd achieved something important. The Queen is in Sheffield today shall I go and share my views.:D

Why did you mean me? What do I care about it? If you feel that strongly, don't goss behind an old lady's back. Have the courage of your convictions and go and say it to her face. In fact, you should make a banner about it ... :hihi:

@Plain ... in fact, on that pic you've linked to, that boy behind earl spencer, doesn't he look like prince william when he was a little boy?

Archived