Why is Obesity classed as an Illness and why does it baffle people?

Its that time of year where we get all the fat familys or "are you a lard ass" on the TV, and they go something like this. Last nights Panorama went something like this

The subject - and overweight person generally in their 30s (or perhaps a teen) puts what they eat on a daily basis on a table.

The table is then creeking and groaning as it struggles to carry the weight of all the pies, kebabs, crisps, fizzy pop, chocolate bars and ice creams that is on top of the table. The overweight person then complains about problems with knees and diabetes etc......

The next part of the programme - a government obesity expert comes on and tells the viewers that we face an epedemic, and that by the year 2050, the average 5 year old will weigh the same as a small elephant. It will cost the NHS billions and we will all be fat lardy people with high BMIs (in fact many people will have the same BMI as that of an Athlete such as a Rugby Player).

In the next part, the obese person then takes up some form of excercise, and then eats a more healthy diet, and hey presto their weight has reduced.

Now why is obesity being classed as an illness. Chicken Pox in children is an illness, as it is something thats pretty unavoidable, as is a vomiting virus. Surely the people on these programmes with the creaking tables must be able to put 2 and 2 together.

Surely after all this advice, people should know that a slice of chocolate cake is not the end of the world. If you eat an entire cake and you don't excercise then you will end up overweight

It doesn't annoy me anywhere near as much as these increasingly-frequent government noises to 'incentivise' weight loss through financial reward (paid for by the taxpayer, of course).

A 'solution' which sounds nearly as effective as 'incentivising' alcooholics to get off the bottle with similar financial rewards, or 'incentivising' druggies to get off the Class A stuff with similar financial rewards, or... :hihi:

I can't see why obese people should not be ostracized to the same extent as smokers, drinkers, etc. generally any "-ers" who choose to self-abuse (I'm a smoker myself, so no holier-than-thou coming from these quarters)

We have an ageing population and a pensions crisis on the not too distant horizon.

It could be argued that smokers, drinkers and 'Lard asses' are responsible for both enhanced economic activity and tax revenue while at the same time being considerate enough to cull themselves pre-pension.

Surely these oppressed sub groups should be embraced rather than castigated by A Capitalist Society and Establishment?

Just a thought ;)

Wether or not it's self inflicted doesn't stop it being an illness.

Like alchoholism for example.

Has anyone seen that episode of Southpark where Kyles dad 'had alchoholism' and was pushed to the front of the queue infront of cancer victims etc to be healed by a deity?

A very good dry humour take on the whole self inflicted illness debarcle :)

Those weight loss programs are all so boring. How many millions of them need to be exactly the same for anyone to actually take notice?! I didn't see the one you described, but you could have been describing any of the millions that have been on over the last ten years :roll:

Like alchoholism for example.

Has anyone seen that episode of Southpark where Kyles dad 'had alchoholism' and was pushed to the front of the queue infront of cancer victims etc to be healed by a deity?

A very good dry humour take on the whole self inflicted illness debarcle :)

Wasn't it Stan's dad? His name is Randy :hihi: and he is my favourite character :hihi:

Archived