Why is Obesity classed as an Illness and why does it baffle people?

Dr foxforcefive is no expert, I was just stating what I know to be true of the overweight people I know (well), they would probably tell you themselves if they were members of this lovely place.

Do you watch these people 24/7?? u seem to know alot about them.

Goodluck with the weight lost, i'm sure you'll do it.

I believe we should be looking at treating those who are over weight as an equal, rather than some alien.

If someone is happy being fat, who are we to judge? let people enjoy themselves how they please.

Fingers crossed so far! :) Thank you.

As for whether anyoe is truly happy being fat, I'm unsure. I gave the big "I don't care attitidue" for a long time, but the truth is I'm not and haven't been for some time. It was a doctor diagnosis that spurned me into action. I'm still unsure whether I would have attempted the change (I say attempted because I'm still not there yet) had I not received that.

I just keep telling myself - carry on like this lass, and by next Christmas you'll fit into a nice figure-hugging dress - and look good :D. It's not that far away really.

As for whether obesity is an illness. Obesity itself is not the illness, it's the reason/s for why people overeat and become that way that is (in my humble opinion anyway).

Fingers crossed so far! :) Thank you.

As for whether anyoe is truly happy being fat, I'm unsure. I gave the big "I don't care attitidue" for a long time, but the truth is I'm not and haven't been for some time. It was a doctor diagnosis that spurned me into action. I'm still unsure whether I would have attempted the change (I say attempted because I'm still not there yet) had I not received that.

I just keep telling myself - carry on like this lass, and by next Christmas you'll fit into a nice figure-hugging dress - and look good :D. It's not that far away really.

And with that attitude you'll go all the way:D Just remember to keep level headed when u lose it, as some go abit cocky and forget where they came from ;)

Not posted on here for a good few pages now...

I know i'm in control of my own destiny because i'm in control of my thoughts and because i'm in a rational mood I know I can say no now.

I quit smoking over a month ago and this time i've not put any weight on, I have the power to control my snacking and not overeat at meal times. I'm in control!

Well done you is all I can say to that, and it's heartening to see a turn-around story.

I'm currently battling, and I will do forever because I love food that is bad for me. I now go to the gym most days (almost every day) before work and am trying to get myself fit and healthy. It's difficult, and some days I just think "stuff it, order a takeaway", but I don't and it makes me feel better that I haven't.

Thankfully, I've never been on the end of any of the "fat" jokes, not quite sure why that is as I most certainly am (probably one of the 12 that foxforcefive knows ;):hihi:). But, I'm 2lb off losing my first stone - the one of many I hope.

It's blooming hard, but to be honest, there are ways and means of helping overweight people lose their weight - and that's not to call them as it makes them eat more. Try not to (pardon the pun) ram the idea of exercise and healthy-eating down their throats. It's a complete lifestyle change, and it's a ruddy hard thing to do, especially when you've had years of abusing yourself (which it is, incidentally). Most of us know this, something just needs to kick in for us to do something about it.

Im currently battling it too. Ive lost approximately 2 stones and gone down a dress size. I cant get to the gym everyday due to my shifts and not been this week as I have not been well with one of my medical complaints, so it has took all my energy to get to work and be able to work.

I gave the happy big but dont care attitude when I was actually far from it, I am happier now I have started to lose a bit of weight, Im just hoping I have the will power and determination to see it through as I have a sweet tooth and like the things that are bad for me.

The strange thing is the cruel comments I have had are always from other women never men.

I guess my issue was with the stupidity of the programmes, the fact that these peoples lifestyles was obviously the root cause. (the amount of food eaten and the playing on gamestations)

I guess if I was to put £10 of petrol in my car on Mondays, not drive the car. Put £10 in petrol on Tuesday, then not drive the car etc...... sooner or later, if I didn't drive the car petrol would soon be spilling out of the petrol tank.

Archived