Why is Obesity classed as an Illness and why does it baffle people?

What do you think it is, a hobby ?
Not far off.

If I hit my thumb with a hammer, that would be self-inflicted - would it therefore be an illness?

If some person who is devoid of self-discipline or willpower manages to stuff more food energy into their face than they expend through physical activity, and continues to do so despite the obvious signs that they are clapping on more and more lard, it does not demonstrate that they have an illness, just that they are weak-minded.

Wasn't it Stan's dad? His name is Randy :hihi: and he is my favourite character :hihi:

Oops sorry, I have a terrible memory!

I just remember them putting him in a wheelchair and handing him more cans of beer cos "It's a disease... there's nothing I can do about it!"

Quite apt for obesity too (in most cases)

It would, that'd be call an addiction (or similar), some cases are illnesses but then they aren't self inflicted.

"Illness" is probably the wrong word, but obesity is certainly a health disorder, and therefore worthy of the attention of the health service - if only in preventative measures.

How about anorexia, Conrod? - Do you think anorexics should be told to 'Pull yourself together and eat properly?
They may be mentally ill, but I'd tell them to stop being stupid and get some good grub down them.

So if you compare fat people to those with anorexia, do you imply that fat people are all mentally ill?

If I hit my thumb with a hammer, that would be self-inflicted - would it therefore be an illness?

It would be an injury, and would be treatable as such.

If some person who is devoid of self-discipline or willpower manages to stuff more food energy into their face than they expend through physical activity, and continues to do so despite the obvious signs that they are clapping on more and more lard, it does not demonstrate that they have an illness, just that they are weak-minded.

Weak-mindedness could well be classed as an illness; why is someone any more to blame for having naturally weak willpower, than they would be for having naturally weak leg muscles?

They may be mentally ill, but I'd tell them to stop being stupid and get some good grub down them.

So if you compare fat people to those with anorexia, do you imply that fat people are all mentally ill?

Compulsive overeating is a recognised eating disorder.

Telling someone with an eating disorder (whether it makes them thin or fat) to pull themselves together and start eating properly is unlikely to help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_overeating

Archived