Why is Obesity classed as an Illness and why does it baffle people?

It would be an injury, and would be treatable as such.

Weak-mindedness could well be classed as an illness; why is someone any more to blame for having naturally weak willpower, than they would be for having naturally weak leg muscles?

so should we define everybody of below-average intelligence and ability as ill, to excuse their limitations?

so should we define everybody of below-average intelligence and ability as ill, to excuse their limitations?

Very few people would believe that limitations need to be excused. I don't have to go around apologising for, or trying to explain away, the fact that I'm not as strong as most. Nobody has to go around apologising for being less than average intelligence. Neither do I see why people should apologise, or be blamed, for having less than average willpower.

If some person who is devoid of self-discipline or willpower manages to stuff more food energy into their face than they expend through physical activity, and continues to do so despite the obvious signs that they are clapping on more and more lard, it does not demonstrate that they have an illness, just that they are weak-minded.

mmm, e.g. i'm depressed so I eat, I get too a point where my weight is an issue, so I get depressed, so I eat, Ad infinitum...

You say "weak-minded" other may describe as a form of Psychosis (I may be wrong, but there's a word for this type of compulsive behaviour).

We need to bring back WWII style rationing.

Back in the day when food was rationed, people couldn't get fat, not easily anyhow!

They did say that in not so many words on Panorama last night.

err... If you buy a ready meal there'll be twice as many calories as a good meal from 50 years ago, boiled potatoes, broccoli, a bit of meat and gravy, basically all the calories you need for a honest days toil...

Archived