Why is Obesity classed as an Illness and why does it baffle people?

They did say that in not so many words on Panorama last night.

err... If you buy a ready meal there'll be twice as many calories as a good meal from 50 years ago, boiled potatoes, broccoli, a bit of meat and gravy, basically all the calories you need for a honest days toil...

I didn't watch it but my husband did and told me about the Rogan Josh calorific content. Basically, exercise is not enough to offset the average modern diet and the bottom line is that people need to eat less and drink less alcohol.

Doesn't it depend on the reason why some people overeat?
I have no doubt that some fat people out there have all sorts of issues and for some that will include mental disorders that cause them to eat compulsively - but there are a LOT of tubsters in this country.

They're not all mentally ill, but in most cases just not able to sensibly control their own lives - hardly something most of us can respect.

I worked it out... there actually 'psychological disorders', but also known as 'mental illness', http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder
Ok then.

Right now according to my friend Google, 46% of men and 32% of women in the UK are overweight. 17% male and 21% femail are obese. http://www.annecollins.com/obesity/uk-obesity-statistics.htm

That's quite a few million people - so are they all suffering psychological disorders? Or are they just people who eat too much and do nothing about it?

The problem is that the medical profession need to justify their existence, being overweight is not a problem in itself. Your lifestyle is the problem. the crude measures are just that, crude ways of the medical profession scaring the doo out of you.

To the mods I know what doo is - I presume you doo too, is it allowed to say these things and not what we actually mean?

Archived