Why is Obesity classed as an Illness and why does it baffle people?

Obesity isn't over eating and lack of exercise, it's the result of over eating and lack of exercise. It's the effect, not the cause in the same way that cancer, heart disease and strokes are the effects caused by smoking.

If looked at in that sense is it not correct to see a life threatening condition such as obesity as an illness?

It's interesting that mental health has been brought up in this topic too as most medications will have weight gain listed in their side effects, I myself gained four stone in three months after starting takinig a mood stabilizer, notorious for causing weight gain, called Olanzapine a few years ago.

Believe me, my sanity was far more important to me than whether or not I could wear a short skirt, but when the opportunity to change to a different medication that might make it possible for me to not be permanently wracked with hunger pains was offered, I took it.

I've now lost 2 stone through hard work and lifestyle changes, changes I'd tried whilst on the medication that had no effect whatsoever.

The worst word in the world is "diet".

Diets do not work. Your whole lifestyle has to change, permanently in order to lose weight and keep it off. It's not easy, but it can be done. More help in re-educating people how to think about food is needed, and more education into understanding the psychology of eaters is needed too.

It might help the fatty bashers to wind their necks in if they realise that an insult is more likely to result in another cake than a new look on life followed by endless salad.

I doubt it though, I think some people are always on the look out for somebody to make them feel superior, even though it just makes them look sad and feeble to those they're trying to impress.

Why is alcoholism classed as an illness

because people who have to have alcohol to function obviously have something wrong with them, it's not the normal way people work.

It's all very well to sit there with your happy life and smuggly say "they brought it on themselves", people don't (generally) give themselevs life threatening illnesses.

Sometimes these things creep up on people without them realising, you lose a loved one and turn to food or alcohol for comfort, and before you know it you depend on it and it's killing you.

because people who have to have alcohol to function obviously have something wrong with them, it's not the normal way people work.

It's all very well to sit there with your happy life and smuggly say "they brought it on themselves", people don't (generally) give themselevs life threatening illnesses.

Sometimes these things creep up on people without them realising, you lose a loved one and turn to food or alcohol for comfort, and before you know it you depend on it and it's killing you.

I agree with you entirely.

But society falls over themselves to treat alchoholics and drug addicts and simply label fat people as greedy.

Obesity is about MUCH more than eating too much. It is a complex condition, as is alcoholism and drug addiction. It's about time society recognised that fact and helped those suffering rather than labelling them as lazy and greedy.

I agree with you entirely.

But society falls over themselves to treat alchoholics and drug addicts and simply label fat people as greedy.

Obesity is about MUCH more than eating too much. It is a complex condition, as is alcoholism and drug addiction. It's about time society recognised that fact and helped those suffering rather than labelling them as lazy and greedy.

But like Obesity, are the 2 highlighted illnesses not self inflicted? ie, if I was to take drugs everyday I would have a drug problem, if I was to drink heavily everyday, I would have a drink problem....... people who show self control tend not to have these problems.

Would the money not be better spent on treating illnesses such as Alzimers, Cancer etc..... illnesses that a sufferer has no means of preventing. Spend the money on research to help these people?

Archived