Why is Obesity classed as an Illness and why does it baffle people?

This is an area well known to me so i can help people understand it a little better.

Eating myself fat was a pleasure, it helped me when I was down, and the more fatter I got, the more I used food to make me feel better.

So there I was ''big fat me'' nothing but food to help me through the days. A diet to me was a ready meal or a small burger ''because it looked small' I didn't know anything about fats, sugars, sat fats, salt, ect...I was lost and told to eat less :/

People were cruel and made the obvious fat jokes. did it help? course it did, I went back home and ate more because food makes me feel good.

''march 2001'' my first big day of beating the fat. Yet again I know nothing about food, so I opt not to eat hardly anything in order to burn the fat off.

Up untill 2005 I managed to lose the weight myself, i joined a gym and was told my diet was shocking! and that my metabolism was that of a 50 year old man, for the lack of food i ate.

After years of research and working close with people in that area, i'm now 11 stone 10lb and 15.7% Body fat. I've kept that weight for years now and use it as a base.

Of course the journey isn't over, i'm older and have to watch what I eat from time to time. Never cut out the takeaways, chocolate, ect...That would be silly not to allow yourself a treat every so often.

Mentally I left my head back before 2001 and didn't realise that along the way you must get that part tuned into a new lifestyle.

I'm still an addict, but one that understands more about certain foods.

Hope abit of that story helps : )

I agree with you entirely.

But society falls over themselves to treat alchoholics and drug addicts and simply label fat people as greedy.

Obesity is about MUCH more than eating too much. It is a complex condition, as is alcoholism and drug addiction. It's about time society recognised that fact and helped those suffering rather than labelling them as lazy and greedy.

You can get as much calories in a pint or 8 than you can in solids such as mars bar, chips, ect.

This is an area well known to me so i can help people understand it a little better.

Eating myself fat was a pleasure, it helped me when I was down, and the more fatter I got, the more I used food to make me feel better.

So there I was ''big fat me'' nothing but food to help me through the days. A diet to me was a ready meal or a small burger ''because it looked small' I didn't know anything about fats, sugars, sat fats, salt, ect...I was lost and told to eat less :/

People were cruel and made the obvious fat jokes. did it help? course it did, I went back home and ate more because food makes me feel good.

''march 2001'' my first big day of beating the fat. Yet again I know nothing about food, so I opt not to eat hardly anything in order to burn the fat off.

Up untill 2005 I managed to lose the weight myself, i joined a gym and was told my diet was shocking! and that my metabolism was that of a 50 year old man, for the lack of food i ate.

After years of research and working close with people in that area, i'm now 11 stone 10lb and 15.7% Body fat. I've kept that weight for years now and use it as a base.

Of course the journey isn't over, i'm older and have to watch what I eat from time to time. Never cut out the takeaways, chocolate, ect...That would be silly not to allow yourself a treat every so often.

Mentally I left my head back before 2001 and didn't realise that along the way you must get that part tuned into a new lifestyle.

I'm still an addict, but one that understands more about certain foods.

Hope abit of that story helps : )

Well done you is all I can say to that, and it's heartening to see a turn-around story.

I'm currently battling, and I will do forever because I love food that is bad for me. I now go to the gym most days (almost every day) before work and am trying to get myself fit and healthy. It's difficult, and some days I just think "stuff it, order a takeaway", but I don't and it makes me feel better that I haven't.

Thankfully, I've never been on the end of any of the "fat" jokes, not quite sure why that is as I most certainly am (probably one of the 12 that foxforcefive knows ;):hihi:). But, I'm 2lb off losing my first stone - the one of many I hope.

It's blooming hard, but to be honest, there are ways and means of helping overweight people lose their weight - and that's not to call them as it makes them eat more. Try not to (pardon the pun) ram the idea of exercise and healthy-eating down their throats. It's a complete lifestyle change, and it's a ruddy hard thing to do, especially when you've had years of abusing yourself (which it is, incidentally). Most of us know this, something just needs to kick in for us to do something about it.

Well done you is all I can say to that, and it's heartening to see a turn-around story.

I'm currently battling, and I will do forever because I love food that is bad for me. I now go to the gym most days (almost every day) before work and am trying to get myself fit and healthy. It's difficult, and some days I just think "stuff it, order a takeaway", but I don't and it makes me feel better that I haven't.

Thankfully, I've never been on the end of any of the "fat" jokes, not quite sure why that is as I most certainly am (probably one of the 12 that foxforcefive knows ;):hihi:). But, I'm 2lb off losing my first stone - the one of many I hope.

It's blooming hard, but to be honest, there are ways and means of helping overweight people lose their weight - and that's not to call them as it makes them eat more. Try not to (pardon the pun) ram the idea of exercise and healthy-eating down their throats. It's a complete lifestyle change, and it's a ruddy hard thing to do, especially when you've had years of abusing yourself (which it is, incidentally). Most of us know this, something just needs to kick in for us to do something about it.

Goodluck with the weight lost, i'm sure you'll do it.

I believe we should be looking at treating those who are over weight as an equal, rather than some alien.

If someone is happy being fat, who are we to judge? let people enjoy themselves how they please.

Archived