Cash from ATM with no pin

Someone in my family is distressed as their card has gone missing and cash has been withdrawn from a machine using the pin number - how can this be done?heard of other fraud but this is baffling

Shoulder surfing then pick pocket... Could even have been a mate...

There are stories of being able to guess any pin number within 4 guesses, but as someone who's read a whole lot of cryptography books, I doubt it... Refer to second part of first if not lost whole wallet...

Shoulder surfing then pick pocket... Could even have been a mate...

There are stories of being able to guess any pin number within 4 guesses,

How can you do this when you don't get a "you've got two numbers right" sort of prompt...there's 10,000 different numbers for a 4 digit pin (aren't there?)

I do it for fun (password watching that is), I don't even really need to see the keyboard / numpad, just the movement.

I do pull staff in shops, banks, and the such like. Even in the job centre a few times (1234, lol, lol, lol), but at least they have a pass card they need to have inserted, even though they leave them to go do something. And as you all know, you can easily make a card reader from an old tape deck (for those who even know what a tape deck is)...

I do it for fun (password watching that is), I don't even really need to see the keyboard / numpad, just the movement.

I do pull staff in shops, banks, and the such like. Even in the job centre a few times (1234, lol, lol, lol), but at least they have a pass card they need to have inserted, even though they leave them to go do something. And as you all know, you can easily make a card reader from an old tape deck (for those who even know what a tape deck is)...

That's different to just cold guessing a pin which is what I thought you were referring to

How can you do this when you don't get a "you've got two numbers right" sort of prompt...there's 10,000 different numbers for a 4 digit pin (aren't there?)

Your right about the number of combinations, but then you've got the human element.

This is why I can see the tactic being applied to say PC passwords, but not cashcards, not that you need the pin when using over the phone...

Archived