Death Penalty: Would it work?

Do you think that the death penalty deter crime?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the death penalty deter crime?

• Yes
    • No

During the last mid term elections a ballot measure was introduced in California to allow cannabis to be used for recreational purposes. It was defeated by the voters by about 55 percent against and 45 percent for.

The argument put forward by those supporting the measure was that legalizing it would eliminate the Mexcian drug smuggling gangs and the wars and killings going on south of the border. The argument made some sense but didn't take into account that it's just not cannabis that these gangs smuggle into the US

http://outmanned.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/cbaeb21ba64def4f.png-450x443.png

Those "for" were nearly all from the San Francisco area which is composed mostly of the liberal minded population in the state but the rest of the state is not so liberal minded contrary to what many who dont know the state believe.

Yep , Californias a republican state.

Sadaam should have been executed.

Death penalities at Nuremberg trials were correct in some instances.

Right for abortion- yes, every woman should have this right.

But grouping mass genocide with abortion isnt relevant, or would you have all 'murderers' executed?

For instance your missus attacks you with a knife tonight and you push her away, she hits her head and dies. Do you deserve to be executed for manslaughter??

The penalty for manslaughter has never been execution !

Actus reus without Mens rea is not Murder and therefore not a Capital Offence.

If I deliberately killed my missus as you put it for aborting a perfectly innocent child, You would take the view that I don't deserve the death penalty for my deliberate act of murder while supporting the fact that my missus should choose to be able to kill a baby !!!!

The baby would be the most innocent of the 3 of us but the baby gets executed without a bloody trial !

You just couldn't make it up !

Its bad enough when we get people calling for the death penalty for murderers, but Drug dealers? Seriously?

What century is this?:(

It's a century in which the majority of our crime problems stem form the evils of the drug trade.

If we get rid of the drug dealers, harshly and swiftly so that other potential dealers know they will die young, the problem would be hugely reduced.

I can recall the Ruth Ellis and James Hanratty executions, I thought that I could never endorse the execution of another human being, but Ian Huntley seriously tests my theory.
And Gordon Brown, but that's another story.

Any child murderer or serious child sex offender should be dealt with by execution, as should all drug dealers.

Does anyone dispute that 100% of murderers who were executed never murdered anyone again?

If you agree that this is the case it is obvious that capital punishment is a deterrent. It works. It stops reoffending.

Don't confront the apologists and liberal-minded sorts with that kind of logic, they don't like it.

Does anyone dispute that 100% of murderers who were executed never murdered anyone again?

If you agree that this is the case it is obvious that capital punishment is a deterrent. It works. It stops reoffending.

What about murders carried out by the ghosts of those who were hung? Don't these count?:cool:

It's a century in which the majority of our crime problems stem form the evils of the drug trade.

*evils that only exist as a direct result of their prohibition.

If we get rid of the drug dealers, harshly and swiftly so that other potential dealers know they will die young, the problem would be hugely reduced.

Except everywhere it's been tried, it hasn't been hugely reduced.

Archived