Death Penalty: Would it work?

Do you think that the death penalty deter crime?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the death penalty deter crime?

• Yes
    • No

Or just check it out on wikipedia under 'capital punishment'. Many, many people have been wrongly executed.

China alone, it runs into the thousands. Thats why capital punishment was abolished in this country, because were a civilised, liberal country with a good history of progressive legislation. Long may it continue.

Whilst I'm not a huge supporter of the death penalty,do you think our alternative is working in reducing murder?

Whilst I'm not a huge supporter of the death penalty,do you think our alternative is working in reducing murder?

I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I believe the problem with murders and sentences, is perception.

I'm sure if it was common knowledge that convicted murderers were likely to be executed it would make some people think twice, I certainly don't believe it wouldn't cross someone's mind before they took that step.

However sentences in place now that are handed down to murderers where execution would be appropriate under the death penalty regime would have the same deterrent effect, it's just that in the minds of the public we assume that the penalties are too often a slap on the wrist, the heavy sentences need publicising more, kids need the message hammering home and meet prisoners who are in the midst of serving long sentences.

Murders where there are a multitude of aggravating features, regularly attract very high levels of minimum sentence, the recent murder of the Blackpool nurse, Jane Clough, resulted in a life term with 30 year minimum sentence for her attacker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-11545319

I don't believe anyone contemplating murder would make a rational decision to carry it out on the basis they would serve only 30 years in prison compared to losing their life.

I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I believe the problem with murders and sentences, is perception.

I'm sure if it was common knowledge that convicted murderers were likely to be executed it would make some people think twice, I certainly don't believe it wouldn't cross someone's mind before they took that step.

However sentences in place now that are handed down to murderers where execution would be appropriate under the death penalty regime would have the same deterrent effect, it's just that in the minds of the public we assume that the penalties are too often a slap no the wrist, the heavy sentences need publicising more, kids need the message hammering home and meet prisoners who are in the midst of serving long sentences.

Murders where there are a multitude of aggravating features, regularly attract very high levels of minimum sentence, the recent murder of the Blackpool nurse, Jane Clough, resulted in a life term with 30 year minimum sentence for her attacker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-11545319

I don't believe anyone contemplating murder would make a rational decision to carry it out on the basis they would serve only 30 years in prison compared to losing their life.

I don't mind talking to you BF :) I know some heavy sentences have been dished out recently but what's the average time served for murder these days? 15 years? Something like that?

The day the death penalty comes back will be a great day, worthy of a few ales in the pub. The tide is slowing turning in public opinion, back towards capital punishment and that is great news. In a day and age with DNA and other modern technology, we can see if people are guilty beyond any doubt. And child rapists and murderers will (and should) face the ultimate penalty.

Hallelujah!

I don't mind talking to you BF :) I know some heavy sentences have been dished out recently but what's the average time served for murder these days? 15 years? Something like that?

It may be something like that, in fact I think its less, but the death penalty wasn't handed out to the type of offenders who would only serve 15 years of a life sentence anyway.

The day the death penalty comes back will be a great day, worthy of a few ales in the pub. The tide is slowing turning in public opinion, back towards capital punishment and that is great news. In a day and age with DNA and other modern technology, we can see if people are guilty beyond any doubt. And child rapists and murderers will (and should) face the ultimate penalty.

Hallelujah!

I wouldn't want to base all my confidence on DNA or modern technology before deciding to take someone's life away.

Yeah, you`d have to leave a little confidence left for your bleeding heart BF.

Hahaha..bleeding heart? Not at all, since I believe a 30 year prison sentence is harsher than the death penalty, why do you want to put these people out of their misery? Have you neglected the prongs on your pitchfork Noob? ;)

Hahaha..bleeding heart? Not at all, since I believe a 30 year prison sentence is harsher than the death penalty, why do you want to put these people out of their misery? Have you neglected the prongs on your pitchfork Noob? ;)

Surely you are the one that desires the harsher punishment then BF ?

You have recently purchased a shiny new pitchfork perhaps ?

Surely you are the one that desires the harsher punishment then BF ?

You have recently purchased a shiny new pitchfork perhaps ?

Absolutely BP, I don't know why you believe someone who opposes the death penalty is thereby against harsh punishments? It's like saying someone who doesn't like Sheffield Wednesday, doesn't like football..hmm, although that example rather proves your point ;)

I really do believe an indeterminate sentence with 20+ year minimum is harsher than the death penalty, I'd take the lethal injection before signing up for spending the rest of my natural life in prison away from my children, family and loved ones.

Ps: The pitchfork is the implement of choice for those who want to vent their spleens outside prisons and a post execution party to go to, I'm not really bothered about all that ;)

Archived