Death Penalty: Would it work?

Do you think that the death penalty deter crime?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the death penalty deter crime?

• Yes
    • No

I would extend that by suggesting that they have a choice in the manner of execution. If it were me I would request drowning in a very large vat of the finest vintage Merlot.
As long as you were allowed to get out for a pee every now and then, eh?:hihi:

In a civilised world you are defined by your actions. I like to think that the UK and certain States in the US are civilised. Some states, Texas, California etc are not by definition, like that of Iran, Pakistan and other backward nations. Murder is murder, no matter how fluffy you want to paint it.

They haven't executed anyone in California for years even if the death penalty is legal.

Everytime someone comes up for execution after the appeals process has finally run out after 25-30 years and a date set the defence lawyers come up with a bookful of reason why the execution should be postponed which further delays sentence being carried out indefinitely.

It's all a joke.

Meanwhile we keep these people in prison locked up in a cell with full board paid for by the taxpayer. They cannot be forced to work as it violates their rights while on death row. They have full access to their lawyers, rights of visitation from family members, medical and dental treatment when necessary, reading material and TV. They're not in danger of attacks from fellow prisoners due to being detained in separate part of the prison and having a cell to themselves.

The notorious Night Stalker killer Richard Ramirez is still on death row after more than 25 years and even got married several years ago. He also got a set of new teeth, implants i believe which would cost anyone on the outside around 45,000 dollars for a full complete set.

Does all this sound like an uncivilzed state to you ?

Definitely work for what-killing people? That's true.

yes killing people would make a difference. people who commit serious crimes deserve harsh punishment. either that or it would cut down crime because people would be scared of getting the death penalty. but who knows what would happen because its not legal yet

Archived