Death Penalty: Would it work?

Do you think that the death penalty deter crime?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the death penalty deter crime?

• Yes
    • No

We had it once, it didn't do any good and it's utterly immoral. Murder rates have fallen without it.

Don't you see the irony in a state saying 'we think killing people's really bad, so we'll do it if you do?'

Either you value life or you don't.

Irony has nothing to do with it.

I do see the value of paying the ultimate price for the ultimate crime though.

Seems rather fair when you think about it.

Be merged with what, seeing as what is the same topic?
"P.S. Mods, The last similar thread was in February and not very specific, the one before that was October 2009 and had 219 pages..." sorry forgot to add this bit its just that i dont want to read your drivel again :hihi:

"P.S. Mods, The last similar thread was in February and not very specific, the one before that was October 2009 and had 219 pages..." sorry forgot to add this bit its just that i dont want to read your drivel again :hihi:

We've had at least 10 pages over three threads on this topic tonight alone. Worthy of a new thread?

Irony has nothing to do with it.

I do see the value of paying the ultimate price for the iltimate crime though.

Seems rather fair when you think about it.

What value? It doesn't help anybody.

If it doesn't work anywhere else - and hasn't worked here in the past - why would it work here and now?

Like the Evil Dr says it doesn't work anywhere else, didn't work here in the past so what makes you think it would work here, now?

Not to deter crime I wouldn't think. Presumably the death penalty would only be used for the very worst crimes, such as serial killings. I would have thought such crimes are generally committed by people who have very serious issues and are driven by strong impulses to commit their acts. I can't really see a serial killer suddenly stopping because he's afraid he might get fried.

It'd get rid of a fair few useless, poor excuses for human beings though.

Not to deter crime I wouldn't think. Presumably the death penalty would only be used for the very worst crimes, such as serial killings. I would have thought such crimes are generally committed by people who have very serious issues and are driven by strong impulses to commit their acts. I can't really see a serial killer suddenly stopping because he's afraid he might get fried.

It'd get rid of a fair few useless, poor excuses for human beings though.

Yeah, I thinks that's pretty much the only thing the death penalty would be useful for.

Archived