Death Penalty: Would it work?

Do you think that the death penalty deter crime?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the death penalty deter crime?

• Yes
    • No

Hanratty,Evans and Bentley 3 reasons for a negative and before I get jumped on about Hanratty,I believe the dna testing was incorrect and/or a cover up thereafter.I have read and studied numerous books about the case and I firmly believe that Hanratty was innocent and Alphonse was the real murderer

a prison officer once told me that everyone he met in prison never expected to be caught and so the threat of punishment was irrelevant

I agree, the threat of getting caught rather than the consequences of getting caught is one of the things that puts people off committing crime. Another way is making people feel that they somehow have a stake in society, get these two ideas working together and crime rates will drop.

The million dollar question is, how do you get these two ideas to work successfully?

Not much point asking whether it would work when it is already known not to work.

Nobody can prove what the factors are that directly affect the crime rate, but it's very easy to prove that the presence or absence of a death penalty is not one of them. Even js2012, who supports the death penalty, has already proven it does not work; he argues that differences in society are the main factor, and thus destroys his own support base.

Hanratty,Evans and Bentley 3 reasons for a negative and before I get jumped on about Hanratty,I believe the dna testing was incorrect and/or a cover up thereafter.I have read and studied numerous books about the case and I firmly believe that Hanratty was innocent and Alphonse was the real murderer

Stop the press!!! :o PT agrees with Noddy Holder! ;)

I'm not certain who was the real murderer, but even with the alleged DNA evidence (which I also believe may be corrupted after nearly fifty years) I'm also doubtful about Hanratty's guilt, myself.

No, it wouldn't. I believe it would lead to an increase in crime. It's also utterly immoral. It's crass stupidity of the highest order for a society that claims that killing is the greatest crime to kill who offend against it.

An error on your part, Society may claim that Murder is the greatest crime. Killing (human beings) is not always a crime, to kill in self defence or defence of another (as long as the action taken is reasonable in the circumstances) is not a crime. Police marksmen are trained to kill people as are the armed forces.

Should Capital Punishment ever be established, Execution is deemed to be Judicial Homicide and NOT a crime.

Stop the press!!! :o PT agrees with Noddy Holder! ;)

I'm not certain who was the real murderer, but even with the alleged DNA evidence (which I also believe may be corrupted after nearly fifty years) I'm also doubtful about Hanratty's guilt, myself.

Bugger that for a game of soldiers..HANRATTY DID IT:D

Does it work in America, or anywhere else in the world? No.

I mean I've never murdered anyone before but I'm guessing those who do don't think too much about the consequences.

It doesn't work in America because the system is being constantly abused and manipulated to make it not work

Archived