Death Penalty: Would it work?

Do you think that the death penalty deter crime?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the death penalty deter crime?

• Yes
    • No

No, it wouldn't. I believe it would lead to an increase in crime.
Why?

Often when people express opinions like this, pedantic opponents will say 'link please'. I won't do that, but what is the basis of your opinion that it would cause a rise in crime?

Moral arguments aside there is no evidence to suggest the executing anyone is cheaper, or more efficient than keeping someone in prison for life.

The average cost of putting a single person to death in California is in excess of $250m. To keep someone in a top security prison only costs $90k per year so I'm sure you can do the maths.

http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42

While there is a concern of hanging someone innocent, as detection methods become ever accurate, are we not less likely to sentence the wrong man? Its not the 50's any more.

If ever I'm in doubt about the death penalty I'm reminded of Roy Whiting and Ian Huntley. What is the point in keeping them alive?

None. They should have been strung up, and all known sex offenders should have been forced to watch it on live video link in their cells or at the local cop shop.

Moral arguments aside there is very no evidence to suggest the executing anyone is cheaper, or more efficient than keeping someone in prison for life.

The average cost of putting a single person to death in California is in excess of $250m. To keep someone in a top security prison only costs $90k per year so I'm sure you can do the maths.

The simple solution is to make the process cheaper.

The Chinese use the death penalty effectively, and it costs them virtually nothing because they get it over with quickly and don't waste precious public money on over-complicated legal processes.

You hate yourself don't you?
What makes you say that?

I think the very worst of our criminals do not deserve to live - quite how that leads you to infer that I hate myself is, well, a bit weird.

I live a happy and fulfilled life, if you really need to know.

Moral arguments aside there is no evidence to suggest the executing anyone is cheaper, or more efficient than keeping someone in prison for life.

no the single cost of the execution is whatever it costs for either the drug to kill them or the charge of electricity to fry them:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived