Unemployment down

More like cutting the public sector that they so despise.

Perhaps we wouldn't be needing these cuts if the Labour Government hadn't increased the size of the public sector by 1000,000 when it is clear the country couldn't afford it.

What does it say? Every time I click on the link I get distracted by the article about Natalie Portman in a tiny bikini :D

Lol a slightly better article to be looking at.

Polish workers are racing back to Britain to take advantage of the jobs market as the economy climbs out of recession, figures showed yesterday.

The number of Poles and other Eastern Europeans working in this country has reached a record as more than 100,000 have arrived this year.

And numbers from India are up by a quarter. The growing influx means that almost half the jobs created this year have gone to foreign nationals.

In total, 138,000 foreign workers have benefited from the strengthening economy and increasing availability of jobs, while 163,000 British citizens have found fresh employment.

The figures also cast a major question mark over claims that it is unfair to cut benefits for British people who are unemployed because there are no jobs available.

Citizens in Eastern Europe were given the right to work freely in Britain when their countries joined the EU in 2004.

Most work in lower-income jobs, from catering and crop-picking to plumbing and building.

But the numbers working here fell sharply during the recession, the figures from the Office for National Statistics show.

At the end of last year there were 472,000, a drop of 30,000 from the highest point. The latest surveys show that there are now nearly 600,000 Eastern Europeans employed in Britain.

The total of 582,000 at the end of September means 110,000 Poles and other Eastern Europeans have found jobs in Britain in nine months – a 23 per cent increase.

Numbers of Indian citizens working in Britain went up 25.6 per cent over the 12 months to the end of September, to 38,000.

It means that in the first nine months of this year, the number of foreign workers has risen by 138,000.

As Indian workers come from outside the EU, the Government has the right to cut their numbers. Home Secretary Theresa May has pledged a cap on the number of non-EU immigrants.

But other ministers, in particular Business Secretary Vince Cable, have been fighting the idea and pressing for more Indian workers, as employers seek out skilled labour.

Sir Andrew Green, of the MigrationWatch think-tank, said: ‘We could be seeing the return of the Poles.

‘Clearly the Government must improve incentives to work for British citizens and cut back on numbers of economic migrants.’

Ministers acknowledged that the growing economy is benefiting people from abroad rather than providing jobs for British workers.

Employment minister Chris Grayling pointed to figures showing that 204,000 people born abroad have found jobs in the last year compared to 100,000 people born in Britain.

Many of those born abroad are immigrants who have arrived in recent years.

A spokesman for the Department for Work and Pensions said: ‘While the number of people in employment has risen by 300,000 over the last year, around two-thirds of this rise is down to rising employment among people who were not born in the UK.

‘Furthermore, new benefit figures out today show that there are still around five million people claiming out of work benefits, underlining the need for root and branch reform of the welfare system.’

Mr Grayling added: ‘We have to get our labour force ready for the recovery and our benefit claimants ready for the workplace.’

There you go Serapis, emboldened some of the more important bits.

NuLabour's legacy for generations to come.

Perhaps we wouldn't be needing these cuts if the Labour Government hadn't increased the size of the public sector by 1000,000 when it is clear the country couldn't afford it.

Well the Cons said that they wouldn't reduce Labour's public spending right up to the credit crunch.

What does it say? Every time I click on the link I get distracted by the article about Natalie Portman in a tiny bikini :D

As it was a link to the Mail I wasn't going to have a look, but you've just persuaded me that even the Mail has something worth "reading" sometimes

Well the Cons said that they wouldn't reduce Labour's public spending right up to the credit crunch.

I find it interesting that you spent 12 months trying to blame Brown's meltdown of the UK's finaces on a global recession, but as soon as Labour are out of power you try to deny there's a crisis to which a responsible government has at last reacted.

Archived