Unemployment down

Well considering I was unemployed and went through the process of being referred to remploy/Best I can say I have a working knowledge of the process yes.

What has changed in the last 6 months then?

Cant see why you are defending the government, and this so called prosperous nation, or mabye you enjoyed being unemployed long term?

sure the tories will make it OK, what with all the money they are pumping into the system now.:loopy:

I see unemployment has fallen (be it ever so slightly) by 9000 and those claiming Job Seekers Allowance is also down.

I have to admit I am surprised, but surely isn't this a sign that perhaps massive cuts and VAT increases are not needed? While the numbers returning to work are tiny, it's 9000 more people paying tax and 3700 less people claiming benefits. Every little counts!

Look no further than Ireland for an example of cuts.

More people have joined JSA than left it.

http://www.leftfootforward.org/2010/11/labour-market-stats-november-2010/

The fact unemployment is down is good news, but this is not an indication of a strong recovery. In fact the figures should be concerning they show the recovery is faltering. The number of jobs available are at their lowest in a year and the number of applicants for each vacancy is rising and is now at 5.33 people for every 'job'.

Proper jobs as in skilled full time jobs, didnt say anything about families and those unable to work did I?

Its fudged because the govt. are getting more people off benefits- it doesnt necessarily mean there is job creation or lower unemployment due to prosperity. You talk about the DWP like you know the current policies inside out, when in fact the goalposts are being changed all the time.

That's not fudging it, that's just doing exactly what they should be doing, getting people off JSA and into work. Work is work, and as long as they're off JSA, how many hours and whether it's skilled or unskilled doesn't really matter, at least they're no longer burdening the rest of us.

how many hours and whether it's skilled or unskilled doesn't really matter

Maybe it doesn't matter to you. It does, however, matter to the people concerned as they will be trapped at the bottom of the ladder (just like what happened when Thatcher killed off our manufacturing base).

Cant see why you are defending the government, and this so called prosperous nation, or mabye you enjoyed being unemployed long term?

sure the tories will make it OK, what with all the money they are pumping into the system now.:loopy:

Im not defending the government, I'm just defending the facts. You claim the figures are fudged, but the facts about the definition of someone in employment are well known and been around since the previous government and maybe longer.

The data is not being fudged, its biased at best. I personally do not like the fact that people who take on jobs over 16 hrs per week are no longer considered unemployed. But that is the definition we have. However it hides the real cost of the benefit state. Those working 16 hrs a week will usually enjoy benefits at the same rate as those not working (supplementary benefits, housing benefit etc), which is a double edged sword. Not only does it hide the true figures it also stops those out of work from bothering to get jobs.

Remember, the figures are based on calculations used by the previous government. Until the whole benefit system is overhauled by the new government. Something we should all be thankful for, you can only work with what you have.

But lets focus on the positive here, even though this could well be a blip, its a good blip and shows our country is getting back on its feet.

Archived