Roxy Cinema - Idsworth Road - 50's - 60's

lewiswalker

Certainly do. When cinemas started opening on Sundays, just after the war, that was the first one I ever went to. The most notable movie I ever saw there was 'King Kong', and I mean the original version, Lord knows where they dug it up from. That would be around 1949.

Hi Tex - Me too, my three main 'Picture houses' growing up was the 'Victory', 'Roxy' and the 'Coliseum' and eventually graduating to the 'Sunbeam'.

Hi fleetwood, Am I right ? The coliseum is now the laundrette , The sunbeam

is/was near the chip shop but where was the victory ?.

Hi fleetwood, Am I right ? The coliseum is now the laundrette , The sunbeam

is/was near the chip shop but where was the victory ?.

Hi gracie - The 'Vic' as it was affectionately called was on Upwell st, to hard to try and give you a better description than that, its certainly not there anymore, there are 'threads' on the 'forum' that go into more detail with photos and location. The Victory boasted a pretty nice upscale Billiard room in its day and was the only Picture Palace that didn't advertise in the Sheffield Telegraph and Star.

Strange ! i was just talking to my older brother about the Roxy ..where i believe the frontage was filmed for the Full Monty? i went with me dad in the car to pick him up after the film ..which was Black Board Jungle.And you could hear the noise comming from the cinema !!! the song Rock Around The Clock was featured in the film ...like a mini riot!!

Archived