What to do evenings,with kids other than tv?

Buy some old fashioned board games, cards, dominoes. Learn to play crib, helps with maths too. Start with draughts and then move on to chess. Dartboard, pool table. Endless possibilities. We had TV when I was a child in the mid fifties/sixties but we never used to watch it we were too busy entertaining ourselves. Now kids don't seem to think for themselves and make their own amusement. They want everything handed to them on a plate

well after kids have had tea its dark so we cant really take dogs for walks,what can we do thats safe and fun,oh and doesnt cost a fortune??

kids are 10 n 14 yrs old btw,

Cant you convince them that since its dark it must be bedtime after their 'late' tea? ;)

This is a real problem for parents who just shut the kids in their bedroom with a tv for company. I hear many a story at work where a tv in the household has broken down and has to be sent away for repair, and they must have a replacement set as they cant be without a tv for a few days. You cant help thinking "get a life and do some other activity then". There are plenty of activities to do without a tv its just that a lot of parents dont have the imagination or inclination to do anything

This is a real problem for parents who just shut the kids in their bedroom with a tv for company. I hear many a story at work where a tv in the household has broken down and has to be sent away for repair, and they must have a replacement set as they cant be without a tv for a few days. You cant help thinking "get a life and do some other activity then". There are plenty of activities to do without a tv its just that a lot of parents dont have the imagination or inclination to do anything

I'm with you on that. we used to do our own puppet shows, make the puppets and the stage. out on shows in garden in summer and in winter when we had snow we'd be sledging or the board games came out. Those days are gone sadly and kids would be so much happier if they'd had the kind of childhood I had. They can't even go sledging now because of all the rubbish that their generation throw down for someone else to clean up:roll:

Archived