Advice regarding pushy/aggressive door calling

My tip with people giving the sell is to answer all questions with blunt/one word answers:

- How are you to tonight?

- Busy

- I'll won't take any more time than I have to

- You've got 30 seconds

etc

And all this cold selling, or door-to-door selling, is kind of based on techniques that "psychics" use. The more information they give you the better they can make their spiel sound. Give them as little as possible and they flap. Once they flap, they are yours rather than the other way round. You don't have to rude to make people uncomfortable - just get them out of their comfort zone... Just my technique. Works for me.

In fact i didn't invite this guy round he invited himself. Reason I opened the door and was polite is because I'm not frightened or intimidated but older and wiser than i used to be. Twenty years ago I might have been quite aggressive with him and then felt guilty so I sort of count to 10 these days. Part of my ire is the thought that he probably would adopt the same techniques to a vulnerable person living alone.

My question was who should I contact to complain, it's not serious enough to be a police matter. EDF directly probably. Next time I'll just get rid

• 6 months later...

the local coppers do give out door signs stating no cold callers,sales persons, religions or hawkers or something along those lines give them a ring and they will post them out for you free its part of the neighbour hood watch scheme type thing.

ALAN

I have a slightly different approach..... I deliberately waste as much time of theirs as possible; supply false details and ask many (even the same) questions all the way through any process they have and then at the point of signing come clean that I simply wanted to waste as much of their time as possible.

I do this for two reasons:-

1 - They are mostly on commission and wasting time is literally wasting their money.

2 - The more time they spend with me then that's more time away from perhaps someone more vulnerable.

I don't do this for any malicious reasons, I just think this 'cold calling' approach is not suited for the U.K.

I did cold calling for a week to get off JSA many moons ago and hated it. I hated bothering people at home and was really worried that some older people might be signing up to the product as a reward to the company I was giving. I felt filthy.

As others have said the most simple method is just to say "sorry I'm not interested" and close the door. This is best for both parties as you don't want what they are selling and they don't want to waste their* time on a no sale.

jb

* lets not forget they are doing a <REMOVED> job for <REMOVED> money. I've done it myself for a couple of months and I have to say it was the most soul destroying job I have ever had.

Really, I take it you have questioned each and every door to door salesman as to their motivations for doing the work.

jb

Why would I? The motivation for being at your door is earning a living (as unlikeable as that may be).

I'll expand slightly then...... You find me a door to door salesperson with the best interest of the potential customer at heart and I will show you a salesperson who will barely earn a living through the commission.

If like you say it is <expletive> work then the only motivation would be the money. I don't think anyone's idea of a good job would be wandering round streets and housing estates getting doors slammed in your face, being shouted and and once in my case an ornament thrown at them.

Motivation = Money. Perhaps that's why you found it soul destroying..... I know I did

I found that the more time you put into a hard sell the more likely it would be that the customer would change their mind after you had gone and just cancel the sale. That means claw backs and the loss of commission. In other words a waste of time. I was far happier with people who slammed the door in my face than with time wasters.

As for vulnerable people we were not allowed to sell to the over 65s or people with obvious mental issues ... and remember there is always the 14 day cooling off period.

jb

Why do you want what's best for both parties? they don't

Really, I take it you have questioned each and every door to door salesman as to their motivations for doing the work.

jb

Why would I? The motivation for being at your door is earning a living (as unlikeable as that may be).

I'll expand slightly then...... You find me a door to door salesperson with the best interest of the potential customer at heart and I will show you a salesperson who will barely earn a living through the commission.

If like you say it is <expletive> work then the only motivation would be the money. I don't think anyone's idea of a good job would be wandering round streets and housing estates getting doors slammed in your face, being shouted and and once in my case an ornament thrown at them.

Motivation = Money. Perhaps that's why you found it soul destroying..... I know I did

I found that the more time you put into a hard sell the more likely it would be that the customer would change their mind after you had gone and just cancel the sale. That means claw backs and the loss of commission. In other words a waste of time. I was far happier with people who slammed the door in my face than with time wasters.

As for vulnerable people we were not allowed to sell to the over 65s or people with obvious mental issues ... and remember there is always the 14 day cooling off period.

jb

Still skirting round the issue of motivation of salespeople but I feel we have detracted from the OP a little.

Archived