Charity shops more expensive than mainstream shops.

Seventy five grand. Not the highest, but not the lowest either, but it does represent one of the lowest proportions of total income for the charity. Some charities spend over 1% of their total income on the CEO salary.

Interesting table here - not sure how accurate it actually is:

http://society.guardian.co.uk/salarysurvey/table/0,12406,1042677,00.html

I don't think they call it "profit" - but 11 years ago this was the picture at Oxfam:

Internal documents show that an internal trading review found that, while overall turnover of the shops had remained constant at £60m, profits passed on for aid projects had fallen from £16.5m in 1997-98 to an estimated £7.6m this year and, if no action were taken, a projected £3.7m in 2003-04.

This was just after their

decision to professionalise shop management two years ago by hiring some 500 paid managers to replace volunteers at the busiest outlets.

I don't think they call it "profit" - but 11 years ago this was the picture at Oxfam:

This was just after their

Paid Managers are better IMO, with Volunteers you can end up with some jobsworth who couldn't manage a cat much less a Charity shop.

7.6 million Net Profit, Well done to all Oxfam Staff and volunteers, that is a brilliant achievement. Any charity that can raise that amount of profit after cost, you are heroes in my book. Keep up the good work and dont listen to idiots on sites like this who dont know what they are talking about.

Another thing that annoys me is people saying that charities are too greedy! so in other words once they have made a £100 they should not ask for any more money or donations? How dare they want more! shouldnt that be enough to help them to find the cure for Cancer, Heart Disease or bring poverty to an end in the world and end suffering. So let us all tell these evil greedy charity workers they very bad people for asking for more money, i meanhow dare they!

The thing is that people are not stupid. I don't think anyone is saying that they should only take so much and then stop, but they are asking silly prices for quite mundane stuff. If I go into a charity shop and see an item for £5 that I know I can buy brand new for £3, then I am not going to buy it. If they asked £2.50 then they would have a sale. I do like to buy from charity shops, but I have limited money and prefer to use it wisely.

My mother in law works voluntarily in a charity shop, and every so often they have a "everything £1" sale, and they take hundreds of pounds. When the rest of the time they are trying to sell the items at prices people just won't pay, their takings go well down. As all the items are donated so they don't have a purchase cost to cover, being greedy and asking too high prices just doesn't seem to be economic sense, as they could make more by having a higher turnover, instead of having to put clothes for pulping, they could be selling them for say 50p, which is more than they get for rags.

I am dysletic, so sometimes i will make grammatical mistakes, unlike like you i am not perfect metalman. I must be so hard for you for being so perfect! never making mistakes, nothing new to learn because you know everything!

It is okay for you to attack the charities and the people who work for them, but not okay for someone to defend them.

i set you another challenge, which you havent said you will take up or not, please reply

Since when did I obey your every whim? Of course I'm not going to take up your 'challenge'. For that matter you didn't answer my question about how exactly I'd abused the rules of the forum - perhaps you'd like to do so or withdraw that accusation?

I'm guessing that you're rather young and idealistic, and perhaps see things in black and white. When you get a bit older and more wise to the ways of the world, you may realise there are shades of grey in most things.