The Green-un newspaper...

poppins

Is the Green-un still sold in Sheffield, a late day Star i think it was, only i remember the man use to come around the streets after tea and shout GREEN-UN, people would come out of their houses to buy it....... us kids would go out before he came and shout GREEN-UN then hide behind the privets hedges and whatch to people come out looking all over the place, that was a real dare for us back then.

I am glad to see the 'Green Un' is still printed.

I remember when it came out after WW11.It is hard to find an analogy in today's world to describe the expectation and anticipation of the printing of the Green Un.

I remember standing outside the paper shop on Penistone road opposite the Park gates waiting for the delivery of the first edition (unless there was one before the war), on Saturday night.

Before the advent of the internet .My mother used to mail it to me here in Canada

Originally posted by poppins

I remember the man use to come around the streets after tea and shout GREEN-UN, people would come out of their houses to buy it

If someone shouts "Green-un" nowadays, It probably means they are about to sneeze and cough a snotter.

Originally posted by poppins

Is the Green-un still sold in Sheffield, a late day Star i think it was, only i remember the man use to come around the streets after tea and shout GREEN-UN, people would come out of their houses to buy it....... us kids would go out before he came and shout GREEN-UN then hide behind the privets hedges and whatch to people come out looking all over the place, that was a real dare for us back then.

Didnt they also have a "pink Un" or am I imagining things ?Im sure it was a racing paper. Might be wrong.

Used to live on Firth Park Crescent ...late 50's ..early 60's....

.....Dad used to send me down to the corner at Bellhouse Road and Firth Park Road...to pick up the Green-Un...

....I didn't check the sports too much.....but I think it had the cartoon..."The Tyke"?.......

....a long time ago.....

...here in California after all these years....

...some fond memories.

Definitely the Green Un................I used to go on my paper round on Hackenthorpe estate on Saturdays. I had perfected the call Green-UuuuN!! and yes they sold like hotcakes so I always had some spares. I think they were most popular because they had all the football results for the Pools....Vernons, Littewoods etc. Are they still around?

Archived