The Green-un newspaper...

poppins

Originally posted by RADISHES

Used to live on Firth Park Crescent ...late 50's ..early 60's....

.....Dad used to send me down to the corner at Bellhouse Road and Firth Park Road...to pick up the Green-Un...

....I didn't check the sports too much.....but I think it had the cartoon..."The Tyke"?.......

....a long time ago.....

...here in California after all these years....

...some fond memories.

i lived on bevercotes road at that time delivered coop milk

ont crecent an the avenue i was only the mate frank lilly was the driver

all the best a woollen

The Green"Un was published well before the war. On resuming publication it became a "must read' and carried full page reports of both Sheffield Clubs together with reports of other local teams. Copies were eagerly awaited by sevicemen, and Sheffielders living out of town and each week I had to post out at least three copies. One I bought and the other two I scrounged from neighbours after they had read them.

The main reporter, post war was Fred Walters who covered the home games of both the Blades and the Owls.Each set of supporters were convinced that Walters supported the other lot!! There was a brilliant cartoonist called Harry Heap who always gave us a laugh with his Alf sez cartoon and theMark the Ball competition could make you rich to the tune of Fifty pounds sterling.

Best wishes O.P.

• 7 years later...
I am glad to see the 'Green Un' is still printed.

I remember when it came out after WW11.It is hard to find an analogy in today's world to describe the expectation and anticipation of the printing of the Green Un.

I remember standing outside the paper shop on Penistone road opposite the Park gates waiting for the delivery of the first edition (unless there was one before the war), on Saturday night.

Before the advent of the internet .My mother used to mail it to me here in Canada

it has now stopped but i would pay 2 pound for it to print again.

The service was unbeatable...we played football in Retford with our matches starting at 3pm finishing at 20 to 5. our drop off point was the Black Swan, and by the time we got back there from Retford about an hour or so later, our scores were posted in the Green'Un. with a full match report.....amazing!

Archived