The Green-un newspaper...

poppins

My dad was a keen cricketer and he told me of a batsman in one of his games who was given out LBW..he wasn't too pleased and as he walked past the umpire he said "I was never out" ( or words with that effect)the umpire told him to read the Green-un that night and see what it said at the side of his name in there... :)

Ahhh the green-un

As a kid i had a green-un round of about 30 papers but the shopkeeper always put 50 in my bag,... After delivering the 30 i used to head for the northern general and try to flog the rest to visitors.

I got a whopping 8p for the round and half pence per green-un sold after.

Bloody slave labour it was.

• 4 weeks later...

I got 15p for delivering a mere 35 Green Un's in Grenoside. I used work my way up delivering them until I got to Topside then I had a clear run back down until Herodsville (our football field, where the Mormon church is now) so I could fly down the park on my bike then start on the estate and a couple on Wheel Lane, then drag myself back up home. Winters were a nightmare. I did the Star delivery earlier in the evening and if it rained or snowed I got wet or frozen twice in 2 hours. My parka was black with ink on one side.

Archived