Putting name on Council Tenancy agreement?

Hello!

Does anyone know much about council properties and their tenancies?

Basically my friend has been living with her ex for over a year. When she moved in they were together and last month they spilt up. He wants to move back to his mums but she's helped him decorate and stuff and would like to stay there.

Could she put her name on the tenancy agreement so she could stay there or will it have to stay in his name and she move out?

Obviously she's never thought about this before but would prefer to stay there if possible.

Any help appreciated!

If someone has been living in a council property for 12mts or more than providing the tenancy holder agrees to it they can have their name put on the tenancy agreement as a joint tennant.

Hopefully he won't be so vindictive as to refuse his agreement, force her to leave the council home, and then move out himself anyway.

Hopefully he won't be so vindictive as to refuse his agreement, force her to leave the council home, and then move out himself anyway.

Hopefully. So she could still live there if she got her name on the tenancy and then he would move out? She wants to phone council and ask for advice but is worried she'll get into trouble for not telling them she lived there sooner.

Hopefully. So she could still live there if she got her name on the tenancy and then he would move out? She wants to phone council and ask for advice but is worried she'll get into trouble for not telling them she lived there sooner.

I believe she could do so, but I'm not certain. I'm fairly certain she won't get into trouble; the council do not insist that every adult living in a property is named on the tenancy.

If she is going to phone the Council for advice, she wont get into trouble as long as he hasn't been claiming the 25% off for single persons. If he has, then she'll have the amount back-dated to when she moved in. I'd check this first.

As for the tenancy agreement, I'm unsure whether the Council would allow her to carry on living there as she isn't on the tenancy agreement now. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. A friend of mine, living with her father now, will probably not be able to keep the 3-bedroomed house should anything happen to him, even though there is her, her dad, her partner and her nephew living there - they'll likely have to move to a smaller property. Just a warning that it doesn't always go the tenant's way, unfortunately - especially if they aren't on the agreement right now.

When my OH moved in with me I wanted to put his name on council tenancy but was told he would have to be living at my property 12 months before he could be a joint tenant and he would have to be named as an "occupier" during that 12 months. So if the council didnt have you down as officially living there, I dont think your name could be added to the tenancy.

Archived