The Tory ministers of the 80's should be put on trial for the Ridley plan.

Probably not, the raison d'etre for the Strike never was to advance the cause of the membership but merely to use the Membership, its funds and of course the withdrawal of its own labour to advance the Political agenda of the leadership of The NUM and the TUC.

The Unions had about as much concern for British Workers as the Tory Banksters did.

So you assume the political agenda of the leadership of the NUM is somehow different from the cause of the membership? This is over analysis. The strike was to maintain the status quo. The agenda was to maintain corporatism e.g. unions retaining a strong hand at the top of society unless you believe the revolutionary theories I have already demolished. No one has described how this mythical revolution cooked up in Fleet street bars would come about.

The NUM already had an overtime ban in place to reduce coal stocks but as any fool knows the strike was sparked in March and sometimes you have to go with the moment. Alternatively you could say "we only strike in winter, feel free to close pits throughout the summer because we'll do nothing".

In the final analysis if the NUM had been solid the time of year would have made no difference whatsoever.

So you assume the political agenda of the leadership of the NUM is somehow different from the cause of the membership?

I admit that I assumed that the average Miner wanted to earn a decent living for his family and secure his and his workmates jobs rather than wanting to sacrifice his family's means of earning a living in pursuit of Scargill's pursuit of a dream based on the seminal works of Marx/Engels/Lenin and last but not least Comrade Stalin.

As I have pointed out and for which there is a ton of references, Scargill and co wanted the Plan For Coal to maintain it's place in the UK economy and the industry to remain strong with unions having a big influence. There is nothing of value to substantiate the fantasy of Scargill's dream. His most thorough interview was with New Left Review in the 70's which if you have read it goes into very little detail beyond "if capitalism fails we take over". He did want the entire union movement to unite and say no to Thatcher reforms and ignore the laws yes. However he did not ever put forward a revolutionary plan unless you can find one somewhere?

No, I said that he wasn't a martyr nor did he fulfil the criteria for being one.

Your ridiculous claim demeans real martyrs.

See definition 2

1. a person who willingly suffers death rather than renounce his or her religion.

2. a person who is put to death or endures great suffering on behalf of any belief, principle, or cause: a martyr to the cause of social justice.

3. a person who undergoes severe or constant suffering: a martyr to severe headaches.

4. a person who seeks sympathy or attention by feigning or exaggerating pain, deprivation, etc.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/martyr

You are wrong.

It's generally believed that a pre-requisite of being a martyr is that people could care less whether you live or die.

You might not care, others do. Your comments were insulting.

Wrong again, I already told you I studied the miners strike for a masters degree

Wonderful but I lived through the strike and knew a lot of miners.

Almost all wanted to go back to work but no one would because they were scared of the thugs. Gosh - didn't your studies dig that out.

Did you research the lives of the strikers for your crappy degree. Perhaps you looked at how the guys lived. Things like rationing cornflakes and just a tiny wet of milk because they didn't have the cash to eat.

Perhaps you researched how men would hide in car boots to get through the pit gates.

Your research isn't worth a light. Usual uni bod half cocked rubbish theory.

Wonderful but I lived through the strike and knew a lot of miners.

Almost all wanted to go back to work but no one would because they were scared of the thugs. Gosh - didn't your studies dig that out.

Did you research the lives of the strikers for your crappy degree. Perhaps you looked at how the guys lived. Things like rationing cornflakes and just a tiny wet of milk because they didn't have the cash to eat.

Perhaps you researched how men would hide in car boots to get through the pit gates.

Your research isn't worth a light. Usual uni bod half cocked rubbish theory.

Why is it not worth a light? Is this because you are intimidated by educated people? I guess all the graduates in the country should halt their careers and start shelf stacking.

As I mentioned I lived through it too albeit as a kid but I watched the news and there were miners living on our street, they were my parents friends. The fact you have had this dimwitted reaction only damages your 'argument'. At the end of the day I have studied it from all angles for years, yes that includes reading the anti strike press and books. I have read MacGregors book several times and you can't get much worse than that. Have you ever read anything on the strike that doesn't chime with your views? Thought not.

I have demolished all your lazy tabloid regurgitations but perhaps you can answer my question as to how an NUM victory would have made the UK communist. Can you? Thought not.

See definition 2

1. a person who willingly suffers death rather than renounce his or her religion.

2. a person who is put to death or endures great suffering on behalf of any belief, principle, or cause: a martyr to the cause of social justice.

3. a person who undergoes severe or constant suffering: a martyr to severe headaches.

4. a person who seeks sympathy or attention by feigning or exaggerating pain, deprivation, etc.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/martyr

You are wrong.

You might not care, others do. Your comments were insulting.

Don't be so silly. He got himself locked up for committing a crime. He didn't change anything and his mate who was locked up with him does Iceland adverts for a principle living. The only martyrdom is to his own stupidity, the celebration of which can seemingly be held in a telephone booth.

Don't be so silly. He got himself locked up for committing a crime. He didn't change anything and his mate who was locked up with him does Iceland adverts for a principle living. The only martyrdom is to his own stupidity, the celebration of which can seemingly be held in a telephone booth.

Why is Tomlinson, an actor doing ads for Iceland an issue with you? Do you believe it somehow strengthens your argument?

As I already informed you but you chose to ignore because it doesn't fit in with your prejudices, a police inspector observed Warren in action and saw no need for arrests. A judge much later on thought differently. If in your naivete you want to say "he committed a crime" then it only serves to make you look ignorant.

Why is Tomlinson, an actor doing ads for Iceland an issue with you? Do you believe it somehow strengthens your argument?

As I already informed you but you chose to ignore because it doesn't fit in with your prejudices, a police inspector observed Warren in action and saw no need for arrests. A judge much later on thought differently. If in your naivete you want to say "he committed a crime" then it only serves to make you look ignorant.

He did commit a crime - he was found guilty of it.

The polcie and judiciary are independant and for very good reason. Mainly because the police are actually fairly bad at knowing what the law is - they keep the peace and let the courts decide what the law is.

Archived