The Tory ministers of the 80's should be put on trial for the Ridley plan.

Wrong on one count. We as a country were already bankrupt in 1976, and had to call in the IMF to bail us out. It was because of having to follow IMF economic policy in exchange for being bailed out, that the unions went on to provoke the Winter of Dicontent; at the time, they didn't care whether or not anybody could afford to eat, as long as they retained all their powers. Thatcher put paid to that, once and (hopefully!) for all.

Yes in many ways the unions set themselves up for disaster :loopy:

Atleast everyone had a JOB!!!

Yes, in those days you could leave a job on the Friday, and have another job to go to on the Monday. I was made redundant one Friday morning in 1979, I phoned a potential employer and was offered an interview that afternoon, and started on the following Monday. I stayed with that employer for almost 7 years.

I know its probably the warm glow of nostalgia, but looking back I realise now that I quite liked the likes of Nicholas Ridley, Norman Tebbit, Alan Clarke etc - didn't like their policies, but at least they had character

Is it just me getting old, or do today's politicians (of all parties, but with a few exceptions) seem so bland in comparison

But then, for every Tebbit there was a Leon Brittan, so maybe it wasn't such a golden age after all

I know its probably the warm glow of nostalgia, but looking back I realise now that I quite liked the likes of Nicholas Ridley, Norman Tebbit, Alan Clarke etc - didn't like their policies, but at least they had character

Is it just me getting old, or do today's politicians (of all parties, but with a few exceptions) seem so bland in comparison

But then, for every Tebbit there was a Leon Brittan, so maybe it wasn't such a golden age after all

I will agree with you on that Boblet, most are career politicians coming out of a politician sausage factory. Personally I'd love to see more real people with real life experience from previous jobs, like doctors, nurses, cops, firemen, dentists, IT workers, lawyers, farmers, vets, academics, scientists, business people & entrepeneurs, engineers, builders and trades people. Wouldn't it be great if our parliament more closely reflected it's citizens and could relate to them better.

Archived