Dipping and rehanging doors

I'm thinking of having my doors dipped and re-hung, can anyone recommend someone who will come and collect the doors, take them away to be dipped and then re-hang them? (the doors in my house for some reason do not fit in their frames properly, so they will all have to be re-sized too, when being re-hung)

Can anyone help?

Thanks

I'm thinking of having my doors dipped and re-hung, can anyone recommend someone who will come and collect the doors, take them away to be dipped and then re-hang them? (the doors in my house for some reason do not fit in their frames properly, so they will all have to be re-sized too, when being re-hung)

Can anyone help?

Thanks

If you're wanting to have your doors 'dipped' then it's most probably in caustic soda. This will wreck them as the wood will expand and the glue in the joints decay.( presuming you're talking about pine doors) These doors were never meant to be finished in anything but paint - best thing is to strip off all the old paint with a hot air stripper and re-paint them. If it's an old house then the doors won't fit properly as the walls will have moved (plus the door) It's easy to trim the doors horizontally and vertically but if there's a twist in them it's a bit more problematical !:)

Well all the doors in my house are dipped and back to the wood. It takes absolutely ages with a hot air stripper and costs a fortune to use Nitromors.

Of course these kinds of doors are not going to fit perfectly. After all they are over 100 years old.

You can get a door that is just about right and then you need a joiner to adjust the size( unless you can do that for yourself)

Mine are stripped too. I used Mr Goode as well.

Some of mine have needed a little remedial work to glue things back in place because the caustic soda does attack the glue. Nothing major though.

I think that they look jolly nice too.:)

Archived