Old phone box,s

tare19

Who remembers the old phone box,s that took old pennies,and you could press button B to get your money back you could even tap dial them and make calls freeto other box,s! those were the days:hihi:

Saturday morning line ups outside the box. Someone with a shopping bag yakking on the phone . People pacing back and forth outside the box, trying to keep warm, looking at their watches, glaring through the glass panes, hoping the person inside will end soon. Caller moving around inside the box to avoid the glares from outside. Back in the 50s there was one phone box for the entire Stradbroke estate where I lived. Those were the days my friend.:hihi:

I have one of the phone boxes on my drive,and it originally came from Hemswell just outside the RAF bomber airfield,I often wonder what tales it could tell and what happened to some of the personel who used it.these boxes were designed in 1935 and it is a kings model,the queens one was 1953,made earlier but had the kings crown cut out and the queens crown inserted.

My husband will remember those phone boxes in the year 1965, I had just given birth to our daughter and the midwife told him I needed a doctor. He said he ran from one to another trying to find one that wasn't broken. To top it off a policeman stopped him to ask what he was doing at 1:30am of course he let him go when he explained. Then a cell phone would have really come in handy. I'm still here so you'll gather everything turned out okay in the end.:)

Archived