CHEAP , sick of the word ?

no im not i work seven days a week because ive learnt not to be greedy and each job snowballs onto others. ive done it all site work sheffield contractors - the glory days have gone - just earn a wage and be thankful ur not stuck behind a desk -

I spread my work out mate as you do , but im lucky if get 2 or 3 days lately , ive never known it as bad but life ggoes on :)

Can you fit or mount or lay brick tiles? how ever they go up?

got two walls that are approx 3m x 4m and i am looking to have brick tiles on them, if your not sure is basicly the face of a brick cut off to be about 10mm thick, the walls are plaster board type with one having a cuple of power sockets to take into account

i am loking to pay a fair price for quality work

http://www.slimbrick.co.uk/department/flat-brick-tiles/

To be totally honest i have never used them , but ill have a look at the link and get back to you . But im honest in my work if i dont think i can do a top job i wont do it , i would try and pas it to someone who has mate

Yep Same in plastering trade for sure im just sick of even quoting now because i know theres people on the dole , not paying taxes ,ins, work from a estate car , and have all there rent and bills paid , they go to work for beer money , they are quoting £40 a day some people and theres nooooooo way i can compete with that , so time to hang up thhe trowel , yepppppp IM DEFEATED lol anyone got any jobs going gi me a shout cause im sick of plastering trade :) RANT OVER LOL

Time to find another trade pal? I notice the cheap thing coming up a lot too.

While i agree that quality tradesmen should not be priced out of their trades and also agree that 'cheap' is no substitute for quality, i didnt hear tradesmen complaining too loudly during the 'boom' years. When house values rocketed and credit ran like water, people were happy to spend hard borrowed cash to renovate their properties believing that this would add value to their homes and in turn be an investment. People had money to part with and often accepted quotes for work that was way over the odds but didnt challenge them as the money spent was recouped with their increased property value. Indeed, wasnt Harry Enfields character 'Loadsamoney' a plasterer?

Unfortunately, the bubble has burst, property value is in decline and obtaining credit is almost impossible. People are desperately trying to repay Mr Barclaycard as they watch their 'investment' take a tumble. Now, people are less willing to play 'changing rooms' and are only really seeking essential work carried out and in turn, are more willing to shop around for the best deals. Recently, i had some quotes for some work to be carried out and one guys pitch was "Im not the cheapest, but im the best"... i have no cause to doubt that and his other past work i inspected supported his claim but in truth, his quote of over double the price of other quotes i obtained did not warrant the huge extra layout and the fact that he delivered his quote arriving in a brand new Merc with private plate didnt help his position when the other guys were clearly just trying to earn a living as opposed to a killing.

In these lean times, we all need to accept that the money is not flowing like it used to and if we all knuckle down, work hard for 'acceptable' figures, we may just ride this out and in a year or two, may see the more prosperous times return but for now, we just have to try and earn our livings.

While i agree that quality tradesmen should not be priced out of their trades and also agree that 'cheap' is no substitute for quality, i didnt hear tradesmen complaining too loudly during the 'boom' years. When house values rocketed and credit ran like water, people were happy to spend hard borrowed cash to renovate their properties believing that this would add value to their homes and in turn be an investment. People had money to part with and often accepted quotes for work that was way over the odds but didnt challenge them as the money spent was recouped with their increased property value. Indeed, wasnt Harry Enfields character 'Loadsamoney' a plasterer?

Unfortunately, the bubble has burst, property value is in decline and obtaining credit is almost impossible. People are desperately trying to repay Mr Barclaycard as they watch their 'investment' take a tumble. Now, people are less willing to play 'changing rooms' and are only really seeking essential work carried out and in turn, are more willing to shop around for the best deals. Recently, i had some quotes for some work to be carried out and one guys pitch was "Im not the cheapest, but im the best"... i have no cause to doubt that and his other past work i inspected supported his claim but in truth, his quote of over double the price of other quotes i obtained did not warrant the huge extra layout and the fact that he delivered his quote arriving in a brand new Merc with private plate didnt help his position when the other guys were clearly just trying to earn a living as opposed to a killing.

In these lean times, we all need to accept that the money is not flowing like it used to and if we all knuckle down, work hard for 'acceptable' figures, we may just ride this out and in a year or two, may see the more prosperous times return but for now, we just have to try and earn our livings.

Value creates value. Get the best you can afford I say.

Turning up in the merc with private plate is either dumb or showing off, either way not the way to get someone to think you are giving a "fair" price

Going back a few years a guy I knew was a dentist in his own surgery, he owned a brand-new Ferrari, did he go to work in it! Did he heck, he went in an old burgundy fiesta! Stops people walking out in pain and thinking dam I just paid for half his wing mirror

My dad went to price up a job the other week and he said what he charged per day and they were trying to knock down the price, when he asked if they had any idea what kind of kitchen units they were after the reply was 'cheap'.

So they were wanting a 'cheap' kitchen with them doing some of the work to make it 'cheaper' I don't know whether they wanted to put the doors on themselves and knock down the price but it was a hell of alot less than what the shop they were planning on buying it from was going to charge, and the kitchen would have been cheaper too as my dad would have got it for trade price.

Trying it on springs to mind :rolleyes:

Archived