Council tenants to be checked out financially

This Government is a joke!

So let me get this right, if your income has gone above a certain level we'll kick you out of your home and if it hasn't then you can stay a bit longer.

What utter nonsense!

As an aside, I thought they were trying to save money on administration!

This in the long run is going to produce ghetto's.

And I think that this is because councils all over the country have been pulling down council house's and flats left right and center with the intent to rebuild but now find themselves unable to afford it and now there is a social housing crisis so anybody that can afford to rent privately will be out to free up house's for people that cannot afford to rent privately.

What we will end up with is just the poorest people in council properties. GHETTO'S.

This in the long run is going to produce ghetto's.

And I think that this is because councils all over the country have been pulling down council house's and flats left right and center with the intent to rebuild but now find themselves unable to afford it and now there is a social housing crisis so anybody that can afford to rent privately will be out to free up house's for people that cannot afford to rent privately.

What we will end up with is just the poorest people in council properties. GHETTO'S.

I agree with you, the Government certainly aren't easing up on their attacks on the poor.

These attacks are going to end up being worse than those under Thatcher!

Come on Libdems, block these ludicrous plans and win a bit of credibility back.

Yes. It's called 'means testing'.

Or do you think that certain people should receive subsidised housing (paid for the taxpayer) just because they ask for it?

Persoanlly I happen to think everyone should be entitled to a decent home, don't you?

Persoanlly I happen to think everyone should be entitled to a decent home, don't you?
So do I. So its then right that people who can afford to not live in social housing then move into somewhere else to let people who can't afford anywhere else be placed into social housing.

Or do those people not matter?

I can't see an alternative, short of raising social housing rents to match private sector levels and building plenty more houses with the extra money. Social housing should be for those who need it, there's not an infinite stock. The government have said that the rents are going to be put up to 80% of private sector levels, which is a good start - those who need a subsidised rent should be entitled to housing benefit.

It frustrates me, the attitude you see from some people of "I'm entitled to a council house with cheap rent because I pay my taxes" (or even those who consider a council house a birthright)

Depends what you men by decent.

Also "Entitled" is far too open ended.

I think that there should be a minimum standard which is not neccesarily a house. Maybe a 1960s tower block flat or maisonette.

Many people who have mortgages have very little spare cash to spend on luxuries, why should they subsidise people in council houses that may have a higher standard of living.

Archived