Council tenants to be checked out financially

Stop being obtuse, nobody claimed that a lower interest rate doesn't benefit mortgagee's, what I've said, and what is clearly true, is that it isn't a subsidy.

Please rest your case, you're just making yourself look stupid.

so if it isnt a subsidy what is it ? i dont mind making myself look stupid its happened before and will probably happen again in the future .:hihi: stop backtracking and admit your wrong :hihi:

It might not have been a subsidy, but it was a deliberate ploy facilitated by the previous government to reduce the impact of the recession and to avoid repetition of the late 80's/early 90's when homeowners paid the ultimate price for our leaders' mistakes.

I don't own my home so have no vested interest, but I can see that large scale repossessions are bad for the economy so I support any government that manages to keep people in their homes.

It's a shame that, in some peoples eyes, this solidarity does not extend to council tennants who have no influence on the housing market, yet seem to be scapegoated as "the problem".

so if it isnt a subsidy what is it ? i dont mind making myself look stupid its happened before and will probably happen again in the future .:hihi: stop backtracking and admit your wrong :hihi:

Interest is simply the cost of borrowing. A mortgage is money borrowed against a property as collateral. The interest rate is whatever your mortgage lender decides to charge for the privilege of borrowing the money to buy the house. Falling interest rates benefit people on flexible mortgages who pay less, but not those on fixed ones. Rising interest rates mean those on flexible mortgages pay more, whilst those on fixed rates keep paying the same. If you can't pay you can lose your house. Its a bit of a gamble. But the one thing it isn't is a subsidy. If you've ever had a bank loan you'd know that wasn't subsidised. Mortgages are based on a similar principle.

And a discussion isn't a competition. I will acknowledge someone may have a point, but it doesn't mean I would have to 'admit' anything. Why so confrontational?

(NB: MIRAS only saved most mortgage payers an average of £20 a month.)

This goverment hates poor people and all those fools who voted tory and lib dem ought to hang their heads in shame.
I'm delighted that I voted Tory and that, at last, they are starting to deal with the benefit-dependant culture of the underclass.

If a social housing tenant is in employment, they had better pray that they don't get a promotion. Because under this ConDem government, success is rewarded with being kicked out of your home.

Social Housing tenants insecurity fears about the roof over their head have now been massively increased...

If a person buying their house is demoted or loses their job and can't pay the mortgage they lose their home.

If a coucil tennant falls on hard times they keep their home and their rent is paid by the council.

And a discussion isn't a competition. I will acknowledge someone may have a point, but it doesn't mean I would have to 'admit' anything. Why so confrontational?

(NB: MIRAS only saved most mortgage payers an average of £20 a month.)

it seems to some on here to be a competition (that may include me ). if someone has a valid point backed up by evidence and the other person is wrong that person should be man enough to admit their wrong.right here goes i seem to have used the word subsidy when talking about the miras scheme i now admit im wrong :o .regardless of how much people saved through the miras scheme (your quote of £20 a month )people mortgages would have been different saving some even more .my question was did the miras scheme help millions of mortgage payers or not ?:huh:

If a person buying their house is demoted or loses their job and can't pay the mortgage they lose their home.

If a coucil tennant falls on hard times they keep their home and their rent is paid by the council.

Housing benefit can be claimed by all tennants - not just council.

When I fell on hard times I was forced to sell my home or face repossession. I chose to sell early and walk away debt free. Had I not been made redundant I might now be looking forward to paying off my mortgage in the next few years and really having a home for life.

I accept that bad things happen and also accept that I will probably never own another property.

But what I can't accept is that just because I decide to work and try to pay my way the government, or anyone else for that matter, should decide that I should give up my home.

But what I can't accept is that just because I decide to work and try to pay my way the government, or anyone else for that matter, should decide that I should give up my home.

Take away the scare mongering and sensationalism and I do not think this will apply to many people. Only to those on very large salaries.

The subject is being used as a stick to beat the new government by some posters.

Take away the scare mongering and sensationalism and I do not think this will apply to many people. Only to those on very large salaries.

The subject is being used as a stick to beat the new government by some posters.

no they doing a good job of doing that themselves:hihi:

I admit you may be right on that part. The legislation proposed should not affect me personally anyway as they have said that existing tennancies will remain intact (I hope we can trust them on that one).

I think it is fairer to deduce that the ones holding the stick are the government themselves, and the reason that ministers have been repeating the same lines week after week is to mould public opinion into believing that council houses and their tennants are somehow to blame for the fact that a lot working people cannot afford to buy their own home, when the real problem is that speculators/investors (wink to cyclone) have, over the last 25 years, inflated prices.

Archived