Council tenants to be checked out financially

Take away the scare mongering and sensationalism and I do not think this will apply to many people. Only to those on very large salaries.

I admit you may be right on that part. The legislation proposed should not affect me personally anyway as they have said that existing tennancies will remain intact (I hope we can trust them on that one).

I think it is fairer to deduce that the ones holding the stick are the government themselves, and the reason that ministers have been repeating the same lines week after week is to mould public opinion into believing that council houses and their tennants are somehow to blame for the fact that a lot working people cannot afford to buy their own home, when the real problem is that speculators/investors (wink to cyclone) have, over the last 25 years, inflated prices.

It has to be appreciated that when paying rent it is very hard for most people to save up the money for a deposit on a home and that is why I think the only people affected by this policy will be those on large salaries.

It is disgracefull that house prices were allowed to increase by such a ridiculous amount, fuelled by restrictions on lending being lifted. The only ones to gain were the lenders, estate agents and speculators.

it seems to some on here to be a competition (that may include me ). if someone has a valid point backed up by evidence and the other person is wrong that person should be man enough to admit their wrong.right here goes i seem to have used the word subsidy when talking about the miras scheme i now admit im wrong :o .regardless of how much people saved through the miras scheme (your quote of £20 a month )people mortgages would have been different saving some even more .my question was did the miras scheme help millions of mortgage payers or not ?:huh:

Miras did help people with mortgages - that was pretty obvious and no one has disagreed with you. However, it was only for a short time in the history of housing, and it was withdrawn a long time ago so isn't relevant to whats happening today.

Haven't you grasped the swings and roundabouts of changes in government? Whichever party is in power, some people will benefit and some won't - and it won't always be the same ones. People should be allowed to remain in social housing for as long as they need to - and if their income increases greatly, they'd probably want to move out and buy their own house.

Miras did help people with mortgages - that was pretty obvious and no one has disagreed with you. However, it was only for a short time in the history of housing, and it was withdrawn a long time ago so isn't relevant to whats happening today.

Haven't you grasped the swings and roundabouts of changes in government? Whichever party is in power, some people will benefit and some won't - and it won't always be the same ones. People should be allowed to remain in social housing for as long as they need to - and if their income increases greatly, they'd probably want to move out and buy their own house.

the person who keeps telling me about miras not helping anyone(cyclone) is the one who disagrees with me "msmacbeth" now you have accepted this helped people i wonder why he cant ?. im not saying anything about whats happening today im saying miras helped millions out in its day .im glad we agree on something about people being able to stay in social housing for as long as they need . if however they may want to move into other alternative accomadation i believe the choice should be theirs and not the governments :thumbsup:

the person who keeps telling me about miras not helping anyone(cyclone) is the one who disagrees with me "msmacbeth" now you have accepted this helped people i wonder why he cant ?. im not saying anything about whats happening today im saying miras helped millions out in its day .im glad we agree on something about people being able to stay in social housing for as long as they need . if however they may want to move into other alternative accomadation i believe the choice should be theirs and not the governments :thumbsup:

Lets not get into an argument about this - Cyclone didn't deny miras was a help, the main point was that it isn't now and hasn't been for a long time. People with mortgages have had no help since it was withdrawn, and they are in a worse position in terms of benefits than renters if they are on a low income.

so if it isnt a subsidy what is it ? i dont mind making myself look stupid its happened before and will probably happen again in the future .:hihi: stop backtracking and admit your wrong :hihi:

Subsidy:a grant paid by a government

Interest rates being high are low are most definitely not grants to anyone. They're just the situation at the moment, one that is beneficial to people with a mortgage, but clearly not a subsidy.

How can you argue a point with someone who doesn't understand what the words mean or even basic past and current tense! You should be :hihi: on the other side of your face, it's like I'm trying to prove a point to a five year old!

But what I can't accept is that just because I decide to work and try to pay my way the government, or anyone else for that matter, should decide that I should give up my home.

The only way to ensure that is to own it.

Rent, privately or from the council (as will be) and they can at some point kick you out. Why should renting from the council be different than from renting privately?

the person who keeps telling me about miras not helping anyone(cyclone)

You've no need to resort to lying. I said that Miras doesn't help anyone TODAY as it hasn't existed for a decade.

is the one who disagrees with me "msmacbeth" now you have accepted this helped people i wonder why he cant ?.

HELPED is past tense. It is not a subsidy that someone can claim today is it.

There are NO SUBSIDIES that a mortgagee can claim today are there? The point I made about a page ago and you insist on arguing with despite it being clearly true.

im not saying anything about whats happening today

Then why did you directly contradict a claim about the current day with your ramblings about what used to happen?

im saying miras helped millions out in its day .im glad we agree on something about people being able to stay in social housing for as long as they need . if however they may want to move into other alternative accomadation i believe the choice should be theirs and not the governments :thumbsup:

So people who's fortunes improve should stay in a council house and deny someone else in real need the opportunity. You're all heart for those suffering aren't you!

Lets not get into an argument about this - Cyclone didn't deny miras was a help, the main point was that it isn't now and hasn't been for a long time. People with mortgages have had no help since it was withdrawn, and they are in a worse position in terms of benefits than renters if they are on a low income.
what i said still stands when it was about it helped millions of people . getting back to todays situation the government shouldnt be able to dictate where you live depending on what you earn .

So people who's fortunes improve should stay in a council house and deny someone else in real need the opportunity. You're all heart for those suffering aren't you!
have you missed my post where i admitted i was wrong ?:huh:back to whats happening today why should people who start to earn more be kicked out of their house?council housing has suffered because of rtb/council demolishing estates and no housebuilding to replace them .you tell me im all heart for the people who are suffering yet are wanting people who earn a little more to move out putting themselves in a position where that extra money would have helped them in other ways :loopy:take them blinkers off :hihi:

I never disagreed with you that in the past it helped people.

But you were arguing that there are subsidies available today. Do you know of any?

So you should be able to win the lottery, but keep the council house, the person recently homeless in the meantime has nowhere to go. Is that what social housing is supposed to be?

I don't believe I said "a little money" at any point, but there should be a point where staying in a council house is wrong as they are in a position to rent privately or buy, just like everyone who doesn't have a council house has to do.

Setting council rents to the market norm and giving out HB on a sliding scale (as already happens I think) would solve the problem.

Archived