Should council house rents be at normal market value?

Tony

Should council house rents be at normal market value?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should council house rents be at normal market value?

• Yes
    • No

Council homes, and other forms of social housing, are no longer considered necessary by our Conservative/Lib Dem overlords.

If my rent was increased to a similar level to that of the private sector, I would be forced to apply for housing benefit - which I would be ineligible for as my income takes me over the limit. I would be faced with a tough decision - move out, and try and find somewhere cheaper. Or more likely I would be forced to leave my employment, and claim benefit to keep a roof over my head while looking for better paid work.

George Osbourne and Nick Clegg will be roaring with laughter and slapping each other on the back at the news of my predicament, no doubt. It was how they both reacted to the announcement of the savage spending cuts...

So you're saying that on your wage, which is above the HB threshold, it simply isn't possible to rent privately.

Somehow I suspect that other people manage.

So you're saying that on your wage, which is above the HB threshold, it simply isn't possible to rent privately.

Somehow I suspect that other people manage.

The trouble is there's managing, and managing with a 47" plasma and Sky HD with the full sports and movie package.

The thread isn't about the right to buy.

How would you feel if receipts from increased rent were used to improve housing stock?

It is being sold off for less than market value and none of that money is reinvested into housing.

Receipts from current rent could be used to improve housing stock there is no need for it to rise.

Housing in this country is vastly overpriced, and that in a nutshell is why our economy is ******, why we cannot produce goods cheap enough for export etc.

If my rent was increased to a similar level to that of the private sector, I would be forced to apply for housing benefit - which I would be ineligible for as my income takes me over the limit.
Interesting, so you can afford private rent, but made a lifestyle choice to live in cheap council rented property, and you don't like the idea of having to pay the full amount like other people on your income level do.

No wonder you're so worked up about this long-overdue and much-needed review of welfare and social hosing.

I would be faced with a tough decision - move out, and try and find somewhere cheaper. Or more likely I would be forced to leave my employment, and claim benefit to keep a roof over my head while looking for better paid work..
That is the way with many people who have a left-wing mindset. Others like to be responsible for themselves.

but why should he? why are you in agreement of the government running peoples lives ?
Because he can afford it. The line has to be drawn somewhere - or in theory we could have people on £100k a year complaining that council rent shouldn't be put up because they're only used to paying a weekly pittance.

Archived