Should council house rents be at normal market value?

Tony

Should council house rents be at normal market value?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should council house rents be at normal market value?

• Yes
    • No

Aren't you saying that it's the government job to provide cheap housing though?

It seems a little bit perverse to say that the government are obliged to provide a cheapie, whilst it's not the governments job to determine if you actually need that cheapie!

how many people in this country need social housing ?how many people need housing/council tax benefit ? i bet the figures outweigh the well off people who these things will not apply to them and dont care what happens to the people it will affect. (ring any bells:loopy:) you keep spouting off what you believe you think is right and ill do the same :thumbsup:

If I was paying the market rate, I'd be paying half of what I pay now, maybe less.

How bizzare. Why don't you leave, then, and find yourself somewhere at market rent? Are you tied into a tenancy agreement that's twice market rent? How?

What's so special about land? It's only about a fifth or less of the price of a house.
I'd have to challenge that.

If you take, say, a 3 bedroom detached house in a nice part of town, worth around £300k, the build cost would be about £100k - the rest is the cost of the plot.

I suppose that changes if the plot is in scumsville somewhere.

Or builders would stop building as there'd be no profit it in anymore.

Why would there be no profit in it anymore? People would still want to buy and renovate houses. Builders and architects getting paid at the going market rate is not the same as speculating. You seem to imagine that peoople would choose to live in the street without the intervention of property speculators.

Nothing artificial about the price of rents, I'm not sure you understand 'market driven' if you're going to keep calling it artificial.

On the contrary, I think it's you who doesn't understand the housing market if you believe prices set by the forecastes and guesses of speculaters are representative of the true value. A price driven by the factor of the 'real' value of a house would not fluctuate wildly.

Housing should be protected from the pressures which are put on non essential commodities, because if the price of sofas gets pushed through the roof by speculatiion, people will stop buying them. When the price of houses get too high to be affordable by the majority, people are forced to rent at inflated prices. They can't stop living in a house, in the same manner they might choose not to buy an over-pricesd sofa! In thse circumstances our housing stock is no longer serving the primary function of providing affordable housing.

It would be nice to imagine that market rents for quality social housing would either drive up private standards or push down private market prices. At the moment there is nothing aside from the market to drive either price or quality and since there is a chronic lack of housing in the UK there is little motivation for any other factor to come into play.

In the short term it'd do the exact opposite. It'd drive private rents up & standards down, because it will cause more demand. In the longer term that'd encourage more housebuilding which would in turn help to bring prices down & drive standards up, but not enough to make up for the initial shock to the market. Average rents will be higher across the board if the government stops subsidising a lot of people's rent.

It would get rid of the 20+ year waiting lists on most estates in Sheffield. Most under 30s can't dream of getting a reasonable council house ever, because the waiting lists are getting longer every year.

Archived