Vitamin B12 deficiency

At least you now know that you have a disease which is thoroughly controllable, and should present no symptoms at all once the first course of injections is completed.

In the absence of the injections, though, it is inevitably fatal. Don't start thinking you might manage without them. ;)

At least you now know that you have a disease which is thoroughly controllable, and should present no symptoms at all once the first course of injections is completed.

In the absence of the injections, though, it is inevitably fatal. Don't start thinking you might manage without them. ;)

i know i am going to need these injections for the rest of my life.

but thank you so much for your advice heyesey

Hi, I've just posted on the thread about vegetarians needing supplements, and now I've read this one too, and I've realised that my 16 year old is very likely to be deficient in B12. I googled it after reading your thread and the description fits her to a tee. I'm now going to act on what I've learned about it. Thanks everyone! :D

• 2 years later...

Recently i had 2 B12 tests done and my levels were low and each one was something like 185.

For the past few months i have been feeling very unwell, Infact i have been feeling like i have something seriously wrong with me or that i am dying.

Basically my symptoms are:

Feeling generally unwell

Fatigue/Tiredness

Headaches

Dizziness

Mild/Severe Stomach Pains and Cramps.

Intermittent Diarrhoea & Constipation.

Pins & Needles and Tingling.

Sore Mouth & Tongue

Throat Pain.

Bad Memory.

Chest Pains.

Shortness Of Breath.

Neck Pain/Pains in between my Shoulder Blades.

Back Pain.

Eye Pain.

Are these the normal/usual symptoms of Low B12 Levels?

I am due to start having injections shortly.

I decided to buy some Vitamin B12 tablets about 10 days ago which are 1,000ug and have been taking them in the meantime while i have been waiting for my injections but they don't seem to have helped me.

Strange question, but have you been to Egypt in the last few months or anywhere where there may be contaminated water? Have you swum in a river anywhere?

My OH picked up a parasite which lived in his upper intestine which drew all the B12 out of him and gave him the symptoms you've listed. Once diagnosed, a swift course of antibiotics sorted it, but he had to have extra B12 to replenish his body afterwards.

If you've not been diagnosed, it may be a possible reason why you are deficient.

You will start to feel much better when you get the injections, as the time wears on and you need another injection, you will start to feel a little unwell again until you get your next injection.The body can't store B12 too well which is ;probably why the tablets aren't making much difference.

Strange question, but have you been to Egypt in the last few months or anywhere where there may be contaminated water? Have you swum in a river anywhere?

My OH picked up a parasite which lived in his upper intestine which drew all the B12 out of him and gave him the symptoms you've listed. Once diagnosed, a swift course of antibiotics sorted it, but he had to have extra B12 to replenish his body afterwards.

If you've not been diagnosed, it may be a possible reason why you are deficient.

Hi, No I haven't been to Egypt or anywhere else recently so it can't be that it must be something else.