Nothing ever changes!

danot

Why are ordinary working/middle class people who live week to week/month to month on humble salaries constantly dipping into their pockets to make donations to various charities and/or to support national fund raising ventures such as children in need - Africa aid and the like year in year out?.

How far do our donations go to making a real difference to the plight of these people anyway? Why are ordinary people left to raise or make donation after donation to help other ordinary people? Why aren't the ones who could make a difference doing so? Why couldn't space exploration for example be put on hold for five years lets say.. maybe the money saved could be donated?

Maybe it's time for us to stop making donations and time our governments started making a difference.

What do you say?

Why are ordinary working/middle class people who live week to week/month to month on humble salaries constantly dipping into their pockets to make donations to various charities and/or to support national fund raising ventures such as children in need - Africa aid and the like year in year out?.

How far do our donations go to making a real difference to the plight of these people anyway? Why are ordinary people left to raise or make donation after donation to help other ordinary people? Why aren't the ones who could make a difference doing so? Why couldn't space exploration for example be put on hold for five years lets say.. maybe the money saved could be donated?

Maybe it's time for us to stop making donations and time our governments started making a difference.

What do you say?

Yaaaawwwn! ... 'children in need' and 'Space exploration' ... (hardly a natural progression) ... any good threads on here? :gag::rolleyes:

Different people have different proportions of their income they wish to donate to charity. Doing it via the government would mean that people who don't like governments spending their taxes on charitable things would have to pay.

Even those who would be happy with more of their taxes going to charity will have views on which charities the money ought to go to. Allowing for people to specify preferences would mean the government spent much of the 'charity money' administering the system.

It's much more efficient for people to donate directly to their charities of choice.

perhaps you can enlighten us then instead of just coming out with irrelevant comments.

You don't have to.

How far do our donations go to making a real difference to the plight of these people anyway?

Far, saves millions of lives every year.

Why are ordinary people left to raise or make donation after donation to help other ordinary people? Why aren't the ones who could make a difference doing so?

Like who? The ones who could make a difference? Like big business you mean? 99% of whom support their own chosen charities.

Why couldn't space exploration for example be put on hold for five years lets say.. maybe the money saved could be donated?

Just because something isn't important to you, it doesn't mean it's not important to somebody else.

Goverments do give aid, through taxes, and where do you propose they get the money from? The money fairy? From MoneyMoney Land?

If you're going to complain about it don't bother giving, you don't have too, no one is holding a gun to your head.

You don't have to.
I know I don't have to. I never said I resented being told I have to, what's your point?

Posted by richyhello

Far, saves millions of lives every year.

So does the NHS, which is also in need of cash, what's your point?

Posted by richyhello

Like who? The ones who could make a difference? Like big business you mean? 99% of whom support their own chosen charities.

So do I, and nothing ever changes, so what's your point?.

Posted by richy hello

Just because something isn't important to you, it doesn't mean it's not important to somebody else.

Exactly! That's my point. Some people value their own interests more than they value human life.

Posted by richyhello

Goverments do give aid, through taxes,

But nothing ever changes, so what's your point?

Posted by richyhello

and where do you propose they get the money from? The money fairy? From MoneyMoney Land?

There's enough in this world for everyone providing no-one takes too much. so once again, what's your point?

Posted by richyhello

If you're going to complain about it don't bother giving, you don't have too, no one is holding a gun to your head.

I'm not complaining about giving. I'm "complaining" because nothing ever changes regardless of whether I give, you give or millions give... or not!

Why are ordinary people left to raise or make donation after donation to help other ordinary people? Why aren't the ones who could make a difference doing so?

Good point. Why doesn't, for instance, Bill Gates sign the odd billion dollars or two over to charities? Or Warren Buffett do the same thing?

They did.

Archived