Where can I buy some mercury?

Nagel

Spoilsport!

Why do you assume that because Mr Nail wants Hg he's going to poison somebody wth it? (boring use.)

There are lots of far more imaginative (yet still legal) uses.

But this is, after all, the Untied Kingdom and if anybody can imagine a use for anything which is not proscribed, then the supply of that item should either be strictly controlled, taxed or complained about.

Even if you need Nimrods to do the complaining.

Perhaps he wishes to manufacture Mercury Fulminate? ;)

At school in the 50's and early 60's the inkwells in the old desks used to have mercury in 'em. We used to pour some on the desk and chase it around with your finger or pour a bit in the palm of your hand. We used to call it 'quicksilver'.

I suppose we would be chastised for such actions these days. We didn't even know mercury was dangerous in those days. Ignorance is bliss.........

I know mercury switches are used by bomb makers [bearded or otherwise] :hihi::hihi:

Nothing quite like the old tilt switch, add a timer, a photosensitive switch (LDR), barometric pressure device and a collapsing circuit in to the bargain and you have a mean box of tricks.

Move it, hang about too long, open it or merely open the door and thar she blows.

The collapsing circuit should see off anyone who watches too much tv and tries cutting the 'Red Wire'.

Archived