Would you move abroad to work?

You are offered a 3 year contract placement abroad through your current employer. You are given a small flat to live in, comes with the job. Pay is great and obviously you have the benefit of a beach nearby.

However, you are not allowed to take your partner. The flat is a studio, big enough for one and you may have to work long hours.

You have been in a long term relationship for a few years, marriage and kids arent on the cards.

Do you jump at it? Do you try and compromise with your employer so that you can have your partner flown out to see you? Do you turn it down?

Or...

You are the partner and your other half has been offered this placement.

Do you accept that it is a potentially brilliant career?

Or do you put up a fight?

You are offered a 3 year contract placement abroad through your current employer. You are given a small flat to live in, comes with the job. Pay is great and obviously you have the benefit of a beach nearby.

However, you are not allowed to take your partner. The flat is a studio, big enough for one and you may have to work long hours.

I'd jump at it and move her in incognito.

You are offered a 3 year contract placement ...

Did that. Wouldn't do it again. Not abroad, but the distance was sufficient that it might as well have been. Same duration though. Long-term relationship withered like a Christmas tree on twelfth night. Probably lots of variables, obviously, other than the distance, but that factor sounded the death knell.

It doesn't sound a very caring company to not take into consideration your personal circumstances. Anyway, to be offered the job you would have had to apply for it in the first place. Surely? And to apply for it would mean that you have already considered all of the above and are happy to bite the bullet and go.

If money was great and my partner wanted to join me then I'd relinquish the complimentary studio flat and get somewhere bigger. The company couldn't stop my partner joining me and looking for work independently.

You don't say which country, if it's USA then there are horrendous green card issues to consider.

You have been in a long term relationship for a few years, marriage and kids arent on the cards.

Do you jump at it? Do you try and compromise with your employer so that you can have your partner flown out to see you? Do you turn it down?

Or...

I once refused to do an afternoon at the Leeds branch of our company lol

Or...

Depends on where it is, as some countries allow for partner visas to be applied for due to a partner/husband being relocated (the UK allows for this BTW) If the company was worth its salt they would either offer to put the application through on their behalf or for you to pay for the application fee. MOST companies work this when they know there are families involved.

If not, Id be seriously wary and re-think the company Im working for if they wont allow you to put family first.

It doesn't sound a very caring company to not take into consideration your personal circumstances.

Absolutely agree...

Three year long distance relationship would more than likely be a passion killer.

Then as long as the partner was to agree, then yes.

Otherwise...

you turn over and go back to sleep?

Couldn't put it better...

Archived