Whats the odds? names and places!!

eightlegger

In the early 60's whilst driving for RILEY'S at INTAKE, i left MONIFIETH heading for DUNDEE. I was flagged down by a nurse at a bus stop. She was going to work and said"what a coincidence having a yorkshire man taking me to work".She was from KEIGHLEY,upon leaving she invited me to meet her husband and son on my next trip up . She gave me their name and address,and our names were exactly the same.my wife and i kept in touch for many years,until we moved to CANADA.In 1967 whilst working for a transportation co. in WINNIPEG they intoduced me to a new man.Turned out that he was from DARNALL and he used to drive a coal lorry for his dad.His name was ELLIS PHEATON,DADS NAME WAS arthur.They both raced pidgeons for years.PHEATONS sold their home on PRINCE-OF-WALES RD to GREENTHORPES,whom i worked for in the mid fifties. ELLIS and i became very close friends and our families shared lots of happy times together. He and his wife DOROTHY, have both passed away.------------------------------------In 2007 on vacation here and waiting for a bus at HARTLEY BROOK RD and SICEY AVE,i asked a man trimming his edge if he knew the person who lived in the home previously,he said no. I got on the bus going to town via gregghouse rd,sicey ave. The man i was asking about boarded the bus on sicey at the top of gregghouse,i managed to talk to him,and we realised that it had been 61 years since we last met.It took about a week for it to sink in. One year later we were back for a funeral, and who was the first man i bumped into in the market? yes the same man------------------------------Two years ago my wife and i took a taxi from SANTIAGO,CHILE, to our cruise ship a few miles away at VALPARAISO. Would you believe, the spanish guy had the same surname as ours, exact same spelling, our name is not one you here everyday.Someone else must have similar stories to tell.eightlegger

In the early 60's whilst driving for Riley's at Intake, I left Monifieth heading for Dundee.

I was flagged down by a nurse at a bus stop. She was going to work and said "what a coincidence having a Yorkshire man taking me to work". She was from Keighley, upon leaving she invited me to meet her husband and son on my next trip up . She gave me their name and address,and our names were exactly the same.

my wife and I kept in touch for many years, until we moved to Canada.

In 1967 whilst working for a transportation co. in Winnipeg they introduced me to a new man, turned out that he was from Darnall and he used to drive a coal lorry for his dad.

His name was Ellis Pheaton,

dads name was Arthur. they both raced pigeons for years.

Pheatons sold their home on Prince Of Wales Road to Greenthorpes, whom I worked for in the mid fifties.

Ellis and I became very close friends and our families shared lots of happy times together.

He and his wife Dorothy, have both passed away.---- In 2007.

On vacation here and waiting for a bus at Hartley Brook Road and Sicey Avenue, I asked a man trimming his edge if he knew the person who lived in the home previously,

he said no.

I got on the bus going to town via Gregghouse Rd, Sicey Ave. The man I was asking about boarded the bus on Sicey at the top of Gregghouse, i managed to talk to him, and we realised that it had been 61 years since we last met.

It took about a week for it to sink in.

One year later we were back for a funeral, and who was the first man I bumped into in the market? yes the same man ----

Two years ago my wife and I took a taxi from Santiago, Chile, to our cruise ship a few miles away at Valparaiso.

Would you believe, the Spanish guy had the same surname as ours, exact same spelling,

our name is not one you here everyday.

Someone else must have similar stories to tell.

eightlegger.

Archived