Body found in canal in Rotherham centre!

I've just had a call from a friend who's working in Rotherham and was walking to a shop earlier when he saw a body in the canal round the back of the Police station on Main Street.

Apparently, the fire brigade arrived and now the divers are on the scene getting the body out!

I was in Rotherham all day today, and near Tesco at 2 til 3.30... I didn't see anything that made me think that a body was being pulled from the canal??? Perhaps the OPs friend misunderstood seeing loads of police cars or something? They do seem to swarm that area purely because of the proximity to the cop shop...

I don't believe anything of the sort happened... Strange thing to ring a mate to ask them to stick on SF though?

SY Police have confirmed it.

http://southyorks.police.uk/news/23112010/4777/body-found-canal-rotherham-lock

A man’s body was recovered from the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Canal at Rotherham Lock, Browns Cut, following a report from a member of the public shortly after 1pm today (Tuesday, 23 November).

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue assisted police to recover the body from the section of canal next to The Statutes outside Rotherham Magistrates’ Court.

Formal identification of the body has not yet been completed but detectives are investigating the circumstances of the death.

The Rotherham Coroner has been informed and a post mortem will be carried out tomorrow morning at the Medico Legal Centre in Sheffield to establish the cause of death.

Anyone with information that could help the ongoing investigation should contact Rotherham CID on 01709 832260.

Archived